• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5432 Engine Mounts

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mount questions

About a decade ago I had to replace the stock mounts on our M25XP because the rubber had worn out - one was collapsed to metal-on-metal. I went with the R&D ones. There were less vibrations but no miracle of quietness.

While I have read a lot of material about the rubber compound product and the technology of these products, there also seems to be some mystery for any given engine. :rolleyes:
Well now those mounts (and the attached engine) are gone and we are partway thru the install of a new Beta 25, with their proprietary mounts. Hope for -relative- peace in the engine compartment springs eternal, as the saying might go.

Please do let us know about the result of your change/upgrade.

I figure that it takes very special people to own and maintain classic sailboats -- otherwise they'd let just any ol' person buy one! :)

Baslin

Member III
Just switched my M25xp from three mounts to four and replaced the Bushings Inc. mounts with Vetus K75's. Went with the Vetus mounts after reading how many (Universal powered) Catalina owners were happy with the change. Paid $270 for four at https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|311|2349049&id=2369585
Boat goes in the water next week will post on the outcome.

Looks like those particular mounts are only good to 20 HP......I haven't looked into all my options yet, but maybe Vetus has other options for higher horsepower engines

Correction: I didnt read all the options...I see ones that are rated for different size engines and hp ratings on their website now.

Last edited:

Baslin

Member III
I ordered 3 R&D Shear Loaded Motor Mounts today...Should be in next week. I will give an update once I install them. I am hoping for an improvement in vibration and noise. I did order the R&D flexible coupler for the prop shaft, but there is not enough room between the two couplers to install so I sent it back. I have a traditional stuffing box, so when I slid the prop shaft back, the coupler comes in contact with the packing nut. Even if I could squeeze the flexible coupler in between the two somehow, I would then have to remove the coupler any time I needed to change packing or remove the packing nut. I did however check prop shaft alignment and I am within spec there. Hoping for the best.

Baslin

Member III
New Motor Mounts Were A Success

Got the new motor mounts installed and WOW what a difference it made!Huge reduction in noise and vibration. I got the mounts from General Propeller Company in Florida. Great service and great prices

JSM

Member III
Glad to hear the new mounts worked out for you. Be sure to re-check your alignment after a few weeks as the mounts may settle in (my Vetus K75's did). I recently converted my M25xp from three mounts to four with much success. This past weekend vibration returned at some RPM'S. Tediously re-aligned the engine and now all is smooooth. Almost like having a new boat!
Next stop on the road to a quieter engine is installing a canister type air filter. Read a post on another forum about installing a Kubota canister filter on a M25xp to reduce engine noise
Talked to the Folks at Beta Marine and their air cleaner will fit no problem but at $165.00 I'm still searching for alternatives.
four moounts.jpg

Baslin

Member III
Glad to hear the new mounts worked out for you. Be sure to re-check your alignment after a few weeks as the mounts may settle in (my Vetus K75's did). I recently converted my M25xp from three mounts to four with much success. This past weekend vibration returned at some RPM'S. Tediously re-aligned the engine and now all is smooooth. Almost like having a new boat!
Next stop on the road to a quieter engine is installing a canister type air filter. Read a post on another forum about installing a Kubota canister filter on a M25xp to reduce engine noise
Talked to the Folks at Beta Marine and their air cleaner will fit no problem but at $165.00 I'm still searching for alternatives.
View attachment 24646

That looks Great!...I am taking the boat out this weekend and will check the alignment again next week probably...I have also been thinking about doing some sort of an air filter, or silencer on my 5432 as well....Its amazing how much quieter the engine is while running if I cover about half the air intake pipe with my hand. I was looking at Parkers site the other day and they offer some marine air filters but I believe they are all too big. I think they are designed for much larger engines than ours haha....One upgrade I did about 2 months ago was rebuilding the entire exhaust system. I upgraded my exhaust hose to 2" all the way out and also installed the largest Centek Lift muffler I could fit. Much quieter, much more powerful and decrease in vibration as well....let me know what you come up with on an air filter as I would be interested too.

Cheers, Blake

Baslin

Member III
I like it Christian! Looks Like the K&N RA-0470 is the one for the 5432...Is that the filter that you are running. I like how it has a place where you can put a hose barb and route the crankcase vent hose too.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't recall the part number, but here's what it looks like.

JSM points out that these aren't designed specifically to reduce air intake noise--which actually I've never noticed.

1-engine, Ericson 38, trim removed.JPG

Last edited:

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Christian,
I like the way you have the blow-by vent hose connected to the filter. Do you get oily dripping inside the filter? Do you need to wash or change the filter often? It looks like a good setup. I was just wondering about your experience with it before I try something similar. (I still have that vent hose simply leading down along the side of the engine, creating a little mess and an oily smell.)
Mike Jacker

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
These filters are to be oiled before installation, apparently the oil restricts the mesh as a design feature. So, oil from the tube is a "bonus."

I haven't noticed any oil or drippage from the filter at all after about two years now.