• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Definition of stern counter

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am stuck on "stern counter."

A counter stern--i.e., reverse transom, isn't what I mean. I'm talking about the curvature of the hull under the stern, where the wind blows your hat so you can't reach it with a boat hook.

Also, the area where through-hulls drain in the 32-3 and 38.

Navman

Member III
  • Does this help?

Stern

stern is the back or aft-most part of a ship or boat, technically defined as the area built up over the sternpost, extending upwards from the counter
    16 KB (2,109 words) - 20:15, 28 February 2018
  • Counter
    Counter may refer to: Compter, a small jail Part of a ship's stern above the waterline that extends beyond the rudder stock (see nautical terms) The Counter
    2 KB (223 words) - 21:08, 2 February 2018
    • Transoms – These timbers extend across the low parts of the hull near the rudder, and are secured (notched and/or bolted) to the sternpost. The transom located at the base of the stern, and the uppermost of the main transoms,[SUP][5][/SUP] was typically called the wing transom; the principal transom below this and level with the lower deck was called the deck transom; between these two were a series of filling transoms. If the stern had transoms above the wing transom, they would no longer be affixed to the sternpost. The first of these might be called a counter transom; next up was the window sill transom; above that, the spar deck transom. The larger the vessel, the more numerous and wider the transoms required to support its stern.
The mind can be a hungry thing!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>Part of a ship's stern above the waterline that extends beyond the rudder stock

That does appear to be what I am trying to name....

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot](nautical) The overhanging stern of a vessel above the waterline.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think I'm on the same page now. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]