Definition of stern counter

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am stuck on "stern counter."

A counter stern--i.e., reverse transom, isn't what I mean. I'm talking about the curvature of the hull under the stern, where the wind blows your hat so you can't reach it with a boat hook.

Also, the area where through-hulls drain in the 32-3 and 38.

Navman

Member III
  • Does this help?

Stern

stern is the back or aft-most part of a ship or boat, technically defined as the area built up over the sternpost, extending upwards from the counter
    16 KB (2,109 words) - 20:15, 28 February 2018
  • Counter
    Counter may refer to: Compter, a small jail Part of a ship's stern above the waterline that extends beyond the rudder stock (see nautical terms) The Counter
    2 KB (223 words) - 21:08, 2 February 2018
    • Transoms – These timbers extend across the low parts of the hull near the rudder, and are secured (notched and/or bolted) to the sternpost. The transom located at the base of the stern, and the uppermost of the main transoms,[SUP][5][/SUP] was typically called the wing transom; the principal transom below this and level with the lower deck was called the deck transom; between these two were a series of filling transoms. If the stern had transoms above the wing transom, they would no longer be affixed to the sternpost. The first of these might be called a counter transom; next up was the window sill transom; above that, the spar deck transom. The larger the vessel, the more numerous and wider the transoms required to support its stern.
The mind can be a hungry thing!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
>>>Part of a ship's stern above the waterline that extends beyond the rudder stock

That does appear to be what I am trying to name....

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot](nautical) The overhanging stern of a vessel above the waterline.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think I'm on the same page now. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]