• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Aluminum Anodes (Zincs)

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
So, I dropped into West Marine on Sunday to buy a new shaft zinc and found all they had were aluminum anodes. I guess the argument is that the aluminum lasts longer and is somewhat more environmentally sound.

Anyway - I have a zinc anode in my heat exchanger, so I think that would deteriorate quicker if I put aluminum on the shaft, so I went elsewhere and bought a zinc shaft anode.

I am wondering if there is any real benefit to switching to aluminum? And how hard is it to find an aluminum engine anode (I have a few years worth of zinc engine anodes in my toolbox)?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anode lore

What we hear around here is that the aluminum works longer in fresh water. Zinc is still preferred for salt water.
Gotta say, I have seen many zinc's "go dead" after being in our fresh water for a year -- that's when the surface gets covered with an insulating layer of white oxide.

My friends with ABYC credentials tell me this, too.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
There are several online zinc suppliers and you can find out more than you ever wanted to know about anodes. BoatZincs.com has more types of zincs than you can imagine. The West zincs have literally been about three times as expensive. At zincs.com, you can learn all about zincs (manufacturer).

We have a fairly "Hot" marina. I use a zinc "Fish" which has a connection to the engine ground and is dropped over the side near the prop. The use of this has extended the life of the shaft zincs from about 6 months to about 14 months. A diver used to change the zincs is $100. The Fish was $50 so it paid for itself pretty quickly.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
What we hear around here is that the aluminum works longer in fresh water. Zinc is still preferred for salt water.
Gotta say, I have seen many zinc's "go dead" after being in our fresh water for a year -- that's when the surface gets covered with an insulating layer of white oxide.

My friends with ABYC credentials tell me this, too.

I believe that. Where I am at on the Chesapeake bay we transition from light brackish to salt over the course of the summer, so I want the best for brackish I guess?