• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Check your rudder/steering cable connections and slop/end play

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Fellow cash poor Ericson Owners,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Background: Last season I had a pronounced thumping under my feet as I motored on Discovery (30+ 1983 Ericson). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] I spoke with the "Diesel mechanics on site who informed me that I had somehow dinged my transmission and that the shaft was out of alignment.

[/FONT] Interesting because This engine is 1.5 years old. BUT, I was informed that if the alignment was not checked after 50 hours, a new installation could go out of wack.

OK, I am no diesel mechanic and being a star struck Ericson lover, I approved the mechanic fixing the transmission problem.

I got a $2,500 and Discovery back with a note that they had to replace the cutlase (sp?) bearing also. I have a sneaky suspicion the bearing was the issue all along, but enough of that.

Did a sea test this weekend and when at full throttle (25,000 or better rms) she pulls strongly to port.

When I asked about the pull I was told...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Check your rudder/steering cable connections and [/FONT]connections and "slop/end play"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Anyone have an idea of what he is talking about because I sure don't,[/FONT]

Ain't ignorance grand!

MJS

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Don't see how loose steering cable connections to your quadrant would cause a pull in one direction or another. What were the sea and wind conditions when you were motoring? Does your prop spin right or left? If the thumping last fall was rhythmic and changed with the speed of engine that sounds like a cutlass bearing issue. Engine alignment should be checked regularly. My boat spends the majority of her life as a "trailer queen" I have to check the alignment after every launch in the spring.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Al,

Your description is right on. Checking engine alignment is not something I had seen in my readings on this board, maybe it should be added to the spring check list?

Is this a DIY project and if so, where do I get the instructions?

As far as the pull goes, I think this guy is all wet. She only pulls when over 80% full throttle. The original engine was a 16 hp, I had a 21 hp installed and didn't change out the blades. I am sure that has a lot to do with it.

MJS

Don't see how loose steering cable connections to your quadrant would cause a pull in one direction or another. What were the sea and wind conditions when you were motoring? Does your prop spin right or left? If the thumping last fall was rhythmic and changed with the speed of engine that sounds like a cutlass bearing issue. Engine alignment should be checked regularly. My boat spends the majority of her life as a "trailer queen" I have to check the alignment after every launch in the spring.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Alignment

Google marine engine propeller shaft alignment procedure and you'll get lots of information. It can be a DIY-PIA if things are way out of adjustment. I will be facing that when I reinstall my M-12 as I'm replacing the engine mounts. Access is the biggest obstacle.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Thank you Al

Google marine engine propeller shaft alignment procedure and you'll get lots of information. It can be a DIY-PIA if things are way out of adjustment. I will be facing that when I reinstall my M-12 as I'm replacing the engine mounts. Access is the biggest obstacle.