• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 for sale

u079721

Contributing Partner
Having recently lost my job of 20 years, I now find that I must put my 1989 Ericson 38 Rag Doll up for sale.

If anyone is interested, you can read about her and see some photos at: http://webpages.charter.net/besley/

The boat is being brokered at Sun & Sail Marine, and will be shown at the Boat Show USA at Metro Beach outside Detroit this weekend. You can contact them at: http://www.yachtworld.com/sunandsail//

I have a whole lot of Ericson 38 specific type gear that I don't feel like giving away with the boat, which I will probably try to sell here in the coming months. (Like a spare fuel pump, backup Edson steering cable, engine control cable, etc.) So watch this space.

Attachments

• ragdoll.jpg
    ragdoll.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 5,154

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great Looking Ericson!

I looked at the photo layout and the boat is just sooooo lovely!
We would buy it in a minute.. except that we have paid off the Olson 34 and are firmly adverse to debt in our retirement years....
:rolleyes:

Please know that I have really appreciated your helpful input on this web site for the last several years. Some of your advice saved me money as well as preventing engine problems for my boat.
:)

I hope that the job search is rewarding and not protracted. Before I retired I worked in UI adjudication for 18 years, and before that did job placement for the state employment dept in Oregon for over a decade... Being out of work is hard on a person, emotionally as well as financially.

Chin up!
And, keep in touch!

Loren in PDX

:esad:

Sven

Seglare
Rag Doll looks beautiful. Sorry you are lettng her go.

Did she already sell, I didn't see her on the brokers pages ?

-Sven

Roger Ware

Member III
Spare parts

Steve - I am sorry to see that you are giving up this beautiful boat. Also, given the condition, I would have bought it in a heartbeat a year ago.

I am interested in your spare parts. I might be willing to buy the whole lot from you if you wanted to do a deal like that. My E38 200 is very close to yours in Hull #, so I am sure that I could use everything that you have.

Let me know, and good luck with your job search.

Roger Ware
Kingston, ON
E38 200 (1989)

u079721

Contributing Partner
Roger,

That sounds pretty interesting about the spares. Why don't you drop me an email with your email and phone, and I'll get in touch when we get into selling things.

You can reach me at: besley AT charter DOT net

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Oh no...

Steve -

This really sucks - I just read your post.

I'm really sorry to hear about your job - as an outsourced IT person (relating to the loss of my E35-3), I can tell you that while it's horrible and unpleasant you can rest assured that you're not alone - and 'this too shall pass'.

I've taken the liberty of adding one of your images to your post, and will make your post 'sticky' to keep it at the top of the listings.

Best of luck to you personally and professionally - and please do stay in touch. I know that when I lost my job, I was amazed and touched by the kindness of the Ericson crowd (I received more than a hundred emails of support) - even the goofy ones from Portland, OR came by to check on me and O Barquinho! :D

Take care of yourself and your family, and let us know how you're doing, ok?

//sse

soup1438

Member II
IT Offshoring... (slightly OT)

I've heard that the main reason IT is easily off-shored is that there's no import duty on the products thus imported.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
soup1438 said:
I've heard that the main reason IT is easily off-shored is that there's no import duty on the products thus imported.

True - but in my situation it was a case of 'domestic outsourcing'. My boss, a sales and marketing type, hated technology - and did not like the idea of employees supporting infrastructure that was critical to company operations (never mind that said employee(s) rebuilt the entire infrastructure, 88% of the business process and helped pull our little distribution company from $17m to $25m - I worked for them 10.5 years).

So - it just goes back to '...how much more money can I make ('I' being the owner of the firm)?' - regardless of who it hurts or what their contribution has been to your organization. With the internet being what it is, it was bound to happen - but now it's spreading to lots of other fields, including legal, medical, architecture, etc - all service oriented.

Actually, I'm not bitter about it at all - it was a good opportunity to get off the 'IT freight train' (of course, being thrown from a moving train that you helped get back on the tracks is not much fun - regardless of how good the circumstances are...). Most of my friends are tied to IT - either in development, networks, web, medical, or manufacturing AS400/Unix stuff, etc - all of them agree that IT is not a good place to be if you're pushing 45 (I'm 42 now).

So - onward and upward. Everything happens for a reason. I know that I'm in much better shape now than I was then - and much happier as well. Hopefully Steve will pass through this cloud quickly as well. I finally came out the otherside of it today - the first day of classes at the University of Washington. ;)

//sse

u079721

Contributing Partner
We have an signed purchase agreement!

Rag Doll was shown at the Metro Beach boat show outside Detroit, and as such was able to get a lot of traffic, and generated a lot of interest. Prices for 1989 E-38s seem to be between the low 70's to the mid 80's, and we were asking $84 K.

Unfortunately after the boat was hauled we found that the hull blisters were back, which will really affect the resale. DAMN! We then got a lowball offer, ($71K) meant to allow thousands for the repair. The broker and I decided to take a page from the GM school of marketing, and countered with the offer of $83K, but with a $5000 rebate at closing to help pay for the repairs. To my surprise (and great pleasure) he accepted. Now we just have to pass survey (which, except for the blisters it will easily do) and I will be an Ericson owner no more.

By the way, it's NOT true what they say. You know the one about the happiest day in a boat owners life being the day he sells his boat, with the second happiest day being the day he bought her? I've had too much fun in the last 11 seasons on Rag Doll not to be sad at her going. I've spent close to 300 nights at anchor aboard her in the North Channel, and even single handed her for a month on this summer's cruise.

She will be missed.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Good Deal.

Hey Steve -

Well - as much as I hate to say it - congratulations on the sale of your boat. While I know it's sad, I think you'll breath much easier with a smaller financial footprint - I know I did.

Good luck in your job search - and please do continue to hang around this board - your contributions are valuable to all the owners (and previous and prospective owners).

//sse

ps: And just for the edification of our users, the attached image (one of the rotating images on the front page of EY.c) is of Rag Doll - from her masthead:

Attachments

• e38_ragdoll_undersail.jpg
    e38_ragdoll_undersail.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,906

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do keep in touch

Steve (and Sean),
Don't forget to give me a shout if you get to PDX and want to go for a boat ride...
Several Ericsons live at our little YC, and we like meeting friends from the E List!
(That goes for any other of you "Vikings" wandering around the country...)

Loren
:egrin:

Roger Ware

Member III
Masthead photo

Steve, Sean - congratulations (sigh) on your sale. I have admired that photo on the ericson site before. Heres the puzzle - the boat appears to be underway (autopilot?) - but is that the mainsail I am looking at the top of the picture. Then the picture taker seems to be off the center line of the boat? Is there a story here?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Masthead Photo

Roger,

We were crossing Lake Huron at the time, with little wind, and were motoring. Boat is on autopilot, with my bored wife visible in the cockpit to starboard. I was bored too, so I figured I would go aloft to take some photos. (Hey, it passes the time.) The rig I use is a harness that I bought from Brion Toss, sort of like a well padded climbing harness. It holds you so well that you can hang upside down, which is what I was doing when this photo was taken, trying to get far enough away from the mast to keep my big size 11 5E feet out of the picture. Not sure why the perspective is so off center, but I was using an 18 mm wide angle lens, which does weird things.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Former Rag Doll

Steve,
Your old boat is now docked next to my 381 QUIXOTIC at Ford Yacht Club on Grosse Ile, MI.
It now has a native Indian name honoring the Indians who lived in this area in the 1700s. I have some photos if you would like to see them.
Gary Peterson
:egrin: