• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ports on a E34, ca. 1988

Shadowfax

Member III
I have a foreward port that no matter what I do keeps leaking. I'm ready to throw in the sponge and buy a new one. these are Lewmar ports and from what I can gather they are model 1. Can anyone verify this, or correct me if I'm wrong?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Leaking opening port

Somewhere in the documents on this forum there is a copy of Lewmar's answer to ALL of the things to do to stop the leaking...

I will see if I can find it later,,

Good Luck

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Lewmar Port Repair Info

Hope these open and help......found them in the bowels of my boat files....they sure helped me.

LewmarRepairPg2 2 . LewmarRepairPg1.jpg

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I have a foreward port that no matter what I do keeps leaking. I'm ready to throw in the sponge and buy a new one. these are Lewmar ports and from what I can gather they are model 1. Can anyone verify this, or correct me if I'm wrong?
Have you thought 'outside the box'?
There was a post a week or two back on another thread that pointed out that not all window leaks are window leaks? ... water dripping from a portlight may be coming originally from a leaking deck fitting on the cabin top ... the water running from that initial leak, along the underside of the outer cabin top 'shell', down a port light, and finally coming out on the inside of that unit. I guess other such leaks that don't have a canary-in-the-coalmine-portlight directly in the fall-line of the little rivulet, carry on past the port lights and down into the bilge.
I think I have at least one such leak: the outside seal on a non-opening port light is 100% intact, yet it leaks just a little on the inside during/after heavy rain (dripping onto the chart table). Probably means I have lots of other cabin top leaks that I'm not aware of. :confused:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Leaking Lewmar Old Standard (was Model 1)

Couldn't get it to open

Hi Paul - we should have talked about this Sunday! If you look at the forward port port lights on Glory Days you will see that I have put blue painters tape over the horizontal line between the two aluminum frame halves. This was to test to see if my leaks stopped. They did, so now I am going to do this fix:

http://www.lifeonthehook.com/2015/09/22/lewmar-old-standard-ports-fixing-a-bad-design/

Last edited: