• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted --> Cam Activator

gkjtexoma

Member II
Hello!

My E30+ came with a Cruising Designs Inc. Reefer II-8 roller furler. Search as I might, I cannot find the 'cam activator' device need to take that headsail down. The PO of the boat is of zero help. I've called the manufacturer's tech support and the person I talked with was unaware of the old design and could offer no help other than say they no longer make that model. My hope is that someone here may have had a CDI Reefer II that was replaced with a more modern furler but may still have the 'cam activator' laying around. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable price. Following is an illustration of the device and its use:

Cam Activator 041418.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like an obscure part from a small manufacturer, in a niche industry.
(sigh)
Perhaps a call to a rigging company large enough to have a "boneyard", maybe.
Try Brion Toss or Port Townsend Rigging. (Both have web sites)

Or, long shot, start calling some of the used gear chandlers and see if they have that furler model coiled up and for sale cheap.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
What purpose do the cam and cam-activator serve?

I'm wondering whether they're essential. It appears to me (guessing from the diagram) that the device on the left serves as a sort of halyard latch - when the headsail is hoisted the cam locks it into place. The "cam activator" is raised in a different groove, with a messenger, to "trip" the cam and allow the headsail to be taken down.

If that's correct... you may be able to use your furler without the cam and all that other stuff.

Have you tried just putting the halyard directly onto the head of the headsail and raising it in the foil, without using any of the other fittings shown in the diagram?

cruis-n

Member II
Is this what you're looking for?

I've had this in the spare parts bag since we bought the boat but never figured out what it was for. Sold the CDI furler years ago.
Is this what you're looking for? I can't tell from the drawing.

Regards,
Paul

Boat Part - Copy.jpg

gkjtexoma

Member II
I've had this in the spare parts bag since we bought the boat but never figured out what it was for. Sold the CDI furler years ago.

Regards,
Paul

View attachment 24247

Hello Paul,

Oh wow! I believe that is it! I didn't expect that it would be that well finished. Please advise on how I can compensate you for it. Looks like you are in North Texas?

Thanks much!

Graham

gkjtexoma

Member II
What purpose do the cam and cam-activator serve?

I'm wondering whether they're essential. It appears to me (guessing from the diagram) that the device on the left serves as a sort of halyard latch - when the headsail is hoisted the cam locks it into place. The "cam activator" is raised in a different groove, with a messenger, to "trip" the cam and allow the headsail to be taken down.

If that's correct... you may be able to use your furler without the cam and all that other stuff.

Have you tried just putting the halyard directly onto the head of the headsail and raising it in the foil, without using any of the other fittings shown in the diagram?

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. The worst part is that the sail is up and I know of no way to lower it without going aloft to manually flip the 'cam' which serves as a latch to hold the sail up. With the headsail up, the halyard is not longer used until the cam activator come into use with a downhaul. For safety and to allow servicing of the headsail, really need to be able to lower it. Sometimes jib hanks sure look good. Nothing like simplicity.

Graham

gkjtexoma

Member II

Regards,
Paul

View attachment 24247

Paul,

On second look, I believe that is the fitting that goes on the sail pennant that I highlighted below -- it hooks on the cam that is tripped by the activator. The second picture in a better description of the cam activator from the CDI manual. Perhaps you may have this part too??

Pennant part 042918.jpgCam Activator Op 042918.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Somewhat reminiscent of the Hobie cat halyard hooks that you had to persuade the slug crimped on the halyard wire to engage. For some reason, they didn't think it was a good idea to have 2:1 tension on the halyard while sailing. Though I probably did more than half the time anyway.

gkjtexoma

Member II
Somewhat reminiscent of the Hobie cat halyard hooks that you had to persuade the slug crimped on the halyard wire to engage. For some reason, they didn't think it was a good idea to have 2:1 tension on the halyard while sailing. Though I probably did more than half the time anyway.

CDI gave up on this design approach in subsequent models and their tech support knows nothing about this old, old stuff. I really wonder how nicely it works in practice -- like a stuck furler drum in a heavy wind and you have to get the sail down in a hurry. Where the heck is the cam activator when I need it? And then feeding it it up the foil extrusion on a pitching foredeck?

cruis-n

Member II
Paul,

On second look, I believe that is the fitting that goes on the sail pennant that I highlighted below -- it hooks on the cam that is tripped by the activator. The second picture in a better description of the cam activator from the CDI manual. Perhaps you may have this part too??

View attachment 24252View attachment 24253

This is the only part I have left from that CDI furler (now that I know that's where it came from). I know there are several other boats around with the CDI furlers so you might get lucky asking around. I'd gladly trade it for a couple of cold IPAs. :D
Looks like you might be at Cedar Mills. Let me know a slip number and I can drop it off. If not...

Paul

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
CDI gave up on this design approach in subsequent models and their tech support knows nothing about this old, old stuff. I really wonder how nicely it works in practice -- like a stuck furler drum in a heavy wind and you have to get the sail down in a hurry. Where the heck is the cam activator when I need it? And then feeding it it up the foil extrusion on a pitching foredeck?

Same with the Hobie thing - the only way to do it was from a position standing on the beach or a dock next to the boat. Or walking way out on one of the bows while underway... not likely unless you're a circus acrobat!

gkjtexoma

Member II
This is the only part I have left from that CDI furler (now that I know that's where it came from). I know there are several other boats around with the CDI furlers so you might get lucky asking around. I'd gladly trade it for a couple of cold IPAs. :D
Looks like you might be at Cedar Mills. Let me know a slip number and I can drop it off. If not...

Paul
Hey Paul,

Thanks, Freeform resides in slip H16. I am also trying Grandpappy's. They used to be a CDI dealer. Also getting a quote on a new version. Practical Sailor rated CDI high in their last review of furlers.

What slip is your boat in?

cruis-n

Member II
Left the part on your boat

Graham -
Left the part in your winch handle holder in the cockpit on your boat. Hope it works out for you.
If not, hold on to it. At some future date, pass it along to someone else who can make use it.

Best,
Paul

gkjtexoma

Member II
Graham -
Left the part in your winch handle holder in the cockpit on your boat. Hope it works out for you.
If not, hold on to it. At some future date, pass it along to someone else who can make use it.

Best,
Paul

Hello Paul,

Super, thanks. Do you know a local rigger named Shawn Cole?

Graham