• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

ericson 35-2 Asymetrical

craigtilson

had anyone or is anyone familiar with changing over to an A-symetrical spinnaker wether adding a sprit or just off the bow/nose of the boat ?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
had anyone or is anyone familiar with changing over to an A-symetrical spinnaker wether adding a sprit or just off the bow/nose of the boat ?

I have an asymmetrical that I fly off the bow of my 32-3. I put a stainless "bail" on the anchor roller, attach a block to that and run a downhaul line through it to adjust the tack height.

Works great for me (casual sailing, not racing)

IMG_2237c.jpg

Grizz

Grizz
Say "yes!" to the A-sail!

The answer is "yes" to both your questions, even though it's from the perspective of an Olson 34. Both 'bow/nose' (in your words) and sprit have been put to the test.

The 'bow/nose' option was the initial attempt, pictured below, intended to centerline the tack AND clear the base of the furler drum but also operate within the restrictions of the bow pulpit. This 'tack nub' option, a split-in-half 1-off design, worked fine for 5 years. It was supplanted by a Trogear Sprit 2 season's ago, also pictured, which was a vast imporovement, as it maintained the centerline configuration, but also projected forward to clear the shadow of the main to a better extent. It also made inside gybes far easier, a benefit on a crowded course.

Measured in 'smiles per mile', the A-sail has been a + + component since it became part of the inventory.

[Warning! Promotional Advertisement to follow! Look away now!] That said, the 'tack nub' is available to anyone that believes it'll help their effort, n/c. It's sitting, gathering dust, on the Sailing Shelf of Stuff. The 2 kites, now undersized due to the Sprit, are available for a nominal fee. 3/4 and 1.5 oz with dimensions available on request. The 1.5 was flown perhaps 3 times.

Hope this helps your assessment process. Take care.

.Sprit deployed   5-22-16 (1).jpgAssy Tack Nub, Patent Pending.jpg

craigtilson

I have an asymmetrical that I fly off the bow of my 32-3. I put a stainless "bail" on the anchor roller, attach a block to that and run a downhaul line through it to adjust the tack height.

Works great for me (casual sailing, not racing)

View attachment 24055

how do you think it would fair when i use it for racing
as well , how does it sail in compared to using a pole
does she fly inside of the pulpit
and do you have any other pics as well as sail size you use or recomended for the boat

regards craig

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
how do you think it would fair when i use it for racing
as well , how does it sail in compared to using a pole
does she fly inside of the pulpit
and do you have any other pics as well as sail size you use or recomended for the boat

I wouldn't use my setup for racing. My goal was to have a kite I could fly in light airs when running down the Sound, and so my setup is biased toward light use at deep angles. If I were racing and/or sailing it in more breeze, I'd want a dedicated setup designed to take the loads, possibly an add-on 'sprit like Grizz has.

I fly it outside the pulpit.

I've attached a picture of my tack setup, below.

The sail is an Ullman "A-2" (their 165%, light-air racing shape) made with AirX-600 (~1/2oz) cloth. IIRC, the luff is 43', the mid-girth is 23'...

IMG_2150c.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Craig, welcome aboard.

If you are willing, putting boat model and engine in the signature line helps people know what you sail and whether their information applies.

Settings/Edit Signature Line.

Cheers,
Christian

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Several people at my marina, who seem to know what they're doing, have small home-made (inexpensive?) removable sprits that lock into their second (or first) anchor roller. They just replace the roller axle with a quick-release pin. Gets everything out in front of the roller furler. I really like these, but I don't know if my roller would support a wide enough piece of tube. Some of them are heavy-walled aluminum from McMaster-Carr and at least one is a carbon fiber tube. Some have removable bobstays and some are doing without. This is someone else's stolen picture, but it was posted on the web. I think I could rig one that locks into the second roller and a second chain-stopper.

bowsprit J42 in HR.png

Another option for those with roller furling is the ATN Tacker Some people have expressed the fear that it would damage the foil if the wind picks up, but I haven't heard any first-hand accounts of such. It also puts the tack more inboard than any other option, putting the sail closer to the main. I actually picked one of these up at a swap meet, but haven't gotten around to repairing the chafed strap. Or buying an A-sail :rolleyes:

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
Although I really like the bow sprit idea this is what we did mostly for cost and it did not affect my PHRF rating.
Purchased an asym runner designed for racing.
The trick with an asym for racing is that because our boats don't have a speed curve like the newer sport boat can you get low enough like with a sym or are the conditions such that you are reaching to your next mark. Spinnaker peels can be difficult. It is hard to jibe downwind and make up the distance penalty but an asym when reaching is faster and can reach higher then a sym.

Thus our solution
Purchased asym runner
When reaching i can use the bow as shown above or my old spinnaker pole.
When running I use old pole and pull pole back about 25 degrees from bow
Outside jibes
Jibes take less people so you get the crew benifits although they take a little longer. lose more speed etc etc
To jibe loosen the guy and run asym from bow
Jibe
Switch pole to other side, hook up guy and pull pole back
The pole does not need a down haul
The tackline and both guys are hooked to the tack of the asym
Other useful tip use spectra and make a bridle where the sheets attach to the clew. knots shackle etc less likely to catch on sail or forestay

+

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
For downwind work, the asem is a compromise sail even with a sprit. It is great for close reaching to a fairly broad reach then the main starts blanking it. On the Straights of Georgia the sailing is either hard on the wind or dead downwind. That's when the pole comes into it's own. The asem is blanked by the main on broad reaches dead down wind. This works well for the red hot racing machines as they go so fast, they always reach to take advantage of the multiplier effect of the sail shape. With your boat, it doesn't go fast enough to make up the additional distance traveled to get the exceptional speed. If you sail deep downwind a lot, the symmetrical spinnaker is the way to go. If you beam reach a lot the assem makes sense. It is easier to set.

I set the symmetrical spinnaker on my old San Juan 26 single handed all the time including down the coast of California. It should not be any harder in your boat. Just a matter of thinking out the steps. On the 34, it is a whole nother story. That chute is 1736sqft. Hence, I have an ATN snuffer to tame it while shorthanded. I still go with the pole as the performance is so superior.

P1000469.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Info came from sales brochure when I bought the boat. It does fill my entire 3 car driveway pad that's 45 feet deep. The thing has really deep shoulders.

CTOlsen

Member III
Assy on an Ericson

Yup,I did the same- added a deck mounted, retractable, sprit on deck. It uses quick disconnects so it can be installed/removed and extended/retracted without any tools or knurled hand screws. We use it both cruising, with a sock and in the few races we participate in. Love it!
Run Side mini.jpgProfile Crop mini.jpgSprit parked.jpg

steven

Sustaining Member
I am rigged for a conventional spinnaker, an asymmetric, and also carry a 190% nylon genoa.
Mostly use the genny, set flying on the spinnaker hayd (though it has hanks). Sheeted through blocks way back near the stern.
Can use it from a close to a broad reach. (not racing).
Very easy for short handing in light stuff.

I have a short anchor sprit, but it is not useful for a sail.
If I start using the asym, I would probably add one.
As is, it tends to catch the bow pulpit, anchor roller, or something, especially in a jibe.
Sooner or later it's going to get torn.

--Steve