• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone set up their sailboat with downriggers for fishing?

Sailing11

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has rigger up their sailboat with downriggers for fishing and if so, did they mount them to the railing along the stern? How did it work out?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
No, but it is an intriguing possibility. I have read that the typical sailing speed is nearly ideal for trolling and it logically would be great for downrigging also.

Sailing11

Yeah I think it could be a pretty decent setup. Most sailboats dont have a lot of space in the cockpit so playing a fish may be difficult but I think its worth a shot. Ive found that the right speed is essential when trolling so maybe best to use the inboard to keep the speed on point.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Man could I use a quick fishing lesson. What is the optimum speed for trolling, and should the lure be skipping over the water or submerged?

I have set the record for never catching anything by trolling.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Sailboat Fishing

Hi Christian
Charter boat captain that we go with occasionally is really good. He says to catch fish:
You have to
1. Be in the right place
2. Be at the right speed
3. Have the right bait
4. Bait at the right depth
Much easier to do with a powerboat.
We used to cruise to Provincetown MA once a summer and we would always hook up a blue at the same shoal every year.
Have not had a bite since. We cruise NH and Maine now and clearing lobster trap fouls has caused us to give up fishing.
Best Regards
Pat 1981 E28+Universal 5411

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Have not had a bite since

I feel less alone. Can you believe that California has no bluefish? Great fighters, even I could catch them, and fresh they taste good.

I guess no outriggers in my future.

But Ignacio in SF and our NW crowd haul big salmon over the transom all the time. Just not down here.

Last edited:

GregB

Member II
Not even good at crabbing from the boat!

Our boat has a pad for a downrigger. I am still trying to figure out why I am being shunned by the PNW crab. When I master that I will expand to being shunned by higher species.

Crabbing:

1.Put rotting fish or other bait in trap
2.lower to bottom
3.drink
4.retrieve

I have had problems with all aspects except #3.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ah bluefish, that brings back memories of being a kid at the Jersey Shore. :)

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I'm setup for trolling. And by "setup," I mean just a few rail-mounted rod holders. Most of the time, I run with the engine, seeing that the hot spots are usually loaded with boats and need the maneuverability. I usually motor at 2-3 knots with a 2lb lead weight, barrel sinker release, anchovies, and a barbless circle hook...I'm no fishing expert, but that seems to be one of the popular trolling rigs. I usually catch at least 1 king salmon in the 10-20lb range on a given day trip - limit is 2/day/person. I once caught a 35lb salmon a few years ago. If no luck with the salmon, or if I have time before heading back in on the flood, I'll switch to rock fishing, which usually has good results...they like to bite. Even better if I can land a ling cod. Out here, fresh, wild king salmon runs $20-30/lb.

I installed a 12V deck wash-down system a few years ago, which is a necessity for removing the fish slime hazard quickly: the buckets just didn't cut it. That system became my shower on the Hawaii project in 2016.

My biggest gripe is the time it takes to get to the good spots outside the Golden Gate, where the action is (usually): 3 hours. But once there, it's easy to zone out staring west to the horizon, and just as you start thinking up new sailing ideas, those damn clickers start going.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I was on a diving charter off Maui about a hundred years ago and the crew had a fishing pole and were trolling with no downrigger from the port hull of the catamaran. We caught a windsurfer. He got away.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
E 28+ Lobster Fishing

Here is how we fish for Maine Lobster on our E28+. 25 years ago we were out of fresh food and cruising up a Maine bay with no stores around. Daughter and wife hungry so we sailed up next to a bayman hauling his traps. "Could you sell us a couple of lobsters we are almost out of fresh food?" "We don't have a scale and you probably don't have cash register." Baymen said "sure" and we passed over a bucket and a boathook with $10 rubber banded to it.
Baymen passed back the bucket with three lobsters in it. I said "we owe you some more $$s." He said "we don't have a cash register or a scale, have a nice cruise." Probably one of the most enjoyable events we have had. Warning: I radioed friends after we anchored to tell them the nice story and someone broke into our conversation and said "A""H""". Not everybody likes cruisers (I guess.) Pat1981 E28+Chips Universal 5411

TimTimmeh

Member II
downrigger mounts

I've got a rail mount for a downrigger by scotty that attaches to the stern pulpit; you cut a length of cedar fence board and butt it up to transom to stabilize it against rotating. A cannon ball will give you much better results then just attaching a sinker, especially when the fish are down at 100'. like others said 2-3 knts max for salmon. I find that if there is a bit of breeze that it's hard to stay within that limit down wind with bare poles, so I put the engine in reverse.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I like using downriggers when I'm in a power boat and purposely just going salmon fishing. For the sailboat, I'm normally cruising as the first priority and just occasionally want to catch a salmon for some fresh dinner. Coupled with the frequent openings and closings of salmon fishing in all the various zones in WA waters, it just hasn't been worth the effort to put downrigger on. Instead we just go with the old school way of putting in a three way snap so you can hang a 8 to 16oz lead weight a couple feet in front of your flasher and lure. Works just fine and much less crap to deal with / maintain. Especially since we are looking for a 'right sized' salmon while cruising rather than going for a big King. Something like a 6 pound silver or blackmouth that you can eat in one or two meals. Instead of trying to figure out what to do with a 30# King in the cooler for the next 2 weeks.

As far as going for crab in the PNW it's location, location, location. You want to be somewhere with mud/eelgrass bottom. Depth is not as important as terrain and food availability. Oh and somewhere that hasn't just been opened to the commercial or tribes since they will clear an area out in 2 days. (if you are catching lots of crab but they are all female or 1/8" undersized, someone got there before you did.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro TherapyFirst crab in boat.jpg