• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Original Formica Color 1981

markvone

Sustaining Member
I'm building a removable counter insert for the space over the stove. I would like to match my original Formica counters. I also need a small piece of Formica to replace an old broken piece that finishes the interior of the dish caddy space.

After a little research, I have determined that Formica brand, color Almond, 920-58 is the exact match. Wilsonart, another plastic laminate maker, has Natural Almond which is close but not an exact match. You can order the sample chip at Home Depot or Lowes for $0.25 to check for color match.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That elusive color

Borrowing some words from my blog entry,
"Color Matching Note: Some years ago when I replaced the factory counter top as part of refurbishing the galley sink, I found that a really close match to the Ericson countertop laminate is:
Formica Color #858-58 Pumice. "

Our boat is an '88, so earlier models may have a different shade of plastic laminate.

Good luck,
Loren

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
FWIW, the best match I've found for my 1971 Formica is Wilsonart 4942-38. "Crisp Linen." The pattern and color matches, but it's not quite as glossy as the original.
At this point, there is more of the "new" laminate on board than there is of the original.
crisplinen.jpg

Hmm... my table-making blog seems to have vanished in the Great Purge. That's the only place the difference is really noticeable, with the original glossy strip in the center, and new stuff in the leaves. But I'm getting rid of that big table anyway. Too big and I never use it. I'm making a smaller Lagun-style table this year.
table inst 4.jpg

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
I got my Almond Formica 30 x 96 inches from Lowes for $39.98 plus tax shipped for free to my house. It rolls up into a ~ 12 inch cylinder for shipping but lays out flat instantly without any memory. You can also get it in 48 x 96 sheets. Check both Lowes and Home Depot.

I was able to easily cut it to exact dimensions with a big shears for a non plywood backed job - the back lining of the foldout dish storage space. The new Formica is more flexible that the 37 year old original Formica but I still over-bent it and it cracked my first piece trying to install it in a tight space. Luckily, I have more than twice as much as I need. Bending won't be a problem for my flat counter insert.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_3617.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3619.jpg
    IMG_3619.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Cut to rough dimensions by scoring with a carpet knife and snapping over a straight edge. Trim to final dimensions, after glue-up, with a trim router.