• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New 85 Ericson 32-3 owner looking to locate a mast boot

Stephen H

Hello everyone, I am a new 85 Ericson 32-3 owner getting ready to launch and step mast after getting new paint on it and need to get a mast boot. Does anyone know where I can find one? Thanks

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
This is the type I have used.

https://www.defender.com/product.js...t-boot&path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=3742665

Careful trimming and some patience will go along way for a good fit.

I used the same one (the 91200000 size, although I suspect the 91000000 size might have worked. IIRC, the flange on the deck-plate is 28" around)

+1 on the careful trimming and patience. Make sure you get a good bond with the included adhesive, no gaps.

Hose-clamps top and bottom to hold it in place.

And then for good measure I wrapped mine with 2" self-amalgamating (silicone) tape, stretched tight to ensure a good seal.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape...=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=self+amalgamating+tape+2"

Stephen H

I used the same one (the 91200000 size, although I suspect the 91000000 size might have worked. IIRC, the flange on the deck-plate is 28" around)

+1 on the careful trimming and patience. Make sure you get a good bond with the included adhesive, no gaps.

Hose-clamps top and bottom to hold it in place.

And then for good measure I wrapped mine with 2" self-amalgamating (silicone) tape, stretched tight to ensure a good seal.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape...=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=self+amalgamating+tape+2"

I saw that stuff, I think the tape and some canvas might be the route I take.

Thanks for the input

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I think the tape and some canvas might be the route I take.

Might be OK in SoCal.

I did mine that way the first year Makana was up here (Puget Sound), and it... wasn't good. It rains a bit up here, and a lot of the rain managed to make it under the tape and into the boat. I re-did the boot the following spring with the universal kit + the tape (and a canvas cover for UV protection) and it's been no problem ever since.

I'd say try the tape, hose it down for a good five minutes and then check for water inside the boat (wet mast-blocks at the partners, wet foam under the headliner, drips down the mast). That'll tell you whether it's doing the job or not....

Bruce

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If mast is out, by all means install real mast boot before it goes back in. Masts rarely come out here.

Stephen H

Might be OK in SoCal.

I did mine that way the first year Makana was up here (Puget Sound), and it... wasn't good. It rains a bit up here, and a lot of the rain managed to make it under the tape and into the boat. I re-did the boot the following spring with the universal kit + the tape (and a canvas cover for UV protection) and it's been no problem ever since.

I'd say try the tape, hose it down for a good five minutes and then check for water inside the boat (wet mast-blocks at the partners, wet foam under the headliner, drips down the mast). That'll tell you whether it's doing the job or not....

Bruce

Thanks Bruce