• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

About us Ericson Owners - It ALL Starts with the Name on the Transom Perhaps??

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thanks Kerry, this is a great idea. I am having a ball reading how the names came about and am pleasantly surprised how many are family endeavors. Seems like a common denominator is love.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks Kerry, this is a great idea. I am having a ball reading how the names came about and am pleasantly surprised how many are family endeavors. Seems like a common denominator is love.

Hi Bill,

Got to agree, and in general, boats themselves are a love affair of sorts. Guess that's IS the most logical starting point for us. Noticing the name on your transom, I'm reminded of a club member with an Ericson with the name Valhalla as well. His wife's name is Val, so again the "Love Affair" continues. :)

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Among the 40 or so names we had come up with, we were thinking of calling her Finishing School because our sons, especially the younger one, learned so much about relationships and himself. He learned one can't be an over dominating Captain Bligh when working with a family crew. They simply revolt and want to go back in. He developed an improved sense of responsibility, resourcefulness, kindness and while under the pressure of captaining. Sam became kinder and more compassionate. Plus both kids got to be better sailors. Both fellas became better men. I see why the Coast Guard and Navy use sailing as part of their curriculum.

We have had so much fun and many great times on her we used to ask each other, "Is this heaven?," a la Field of Dreams, and the answer was, "no it's Chesapeake Bay." And we'd laugh- all sharing the feeling. Which got me to thinking maybe we should name her Heaven.

We mixed the Ericson/Viking thing in and we came up with Valhalla- sort of a Viking heaven but, for us. Without the dying-in-battle component. We thought about it for a few months and still liked Valhalla. It took two years but finally we hit on a name we all liked. Then I found a font called Viking and added the colons on each end like the movie The Vikings 'cause we thought that looked cool.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Among the 40 or so names we had come up with, we were thinking of calling her Finishing School because our sons, especially the younger one, learned so much about relationships and himself. He learned one can't be an over dominating Captain Bligh when working with a family crew. They simply revolt and want to go back in. He developed an improved sense of responsibility, resourcefulness, kindness and while under the pressure of captaining. Sam became kinder and more compassionate. Plus both kids got to be better sailors. Both fellas became better men. I see why the Coast Guard and Navy use sailing as part of their curriculum.

We have had so much fun and many great times on her we used to ask each other, "Is this heaven?," a la Field of Dreams, and the answer was, "no it's Chesapeake Bay." And we'd laugh- all sharing the feeling. Which got me to thinking maybe we should name her Heaven.

We mixed the Ericson/Viking thing in and we came up with Valhalla- sort of a Viking heaven but, for us. Without the dying-in-battle component. We thought about it for a few months and still liked Valhalla. It took two years but finally we hit on a name we all liked. Then I found a font called Viking and added the colons on each end like the movie The Vikings 'cause we thought that looked cool.

Back in the day, the mainframe computer (remember those?) at U of I (Vandals) was named ODIN. Everyone had an ODIN account. Maybe your nav computer needs a name?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Back in the day, the mainframe computer (remember those?) at U of I (Vandals) was named ODIN. Everyone had an ODIN account. Maybe your nav computer needs a name?

Like many of our friends, we also named our auto-pilot. The name my son chose was "Ivan" from the movie "Hunt for Red October".

There was a glitch in it somewhere for a period of time when it would randomly make a hard turn to port or starboard without notice! :egrin:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good choice. I think Crazy Ivan must have gone to work for Raymarine, after the cold war. Notice how he'll behave himself for a couple of hours, then for no reason, abruptly turn into the path of oncoming shipping. :0