• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

About us Ericson Owners - It ALL Starts with the Name on the Transom Perhaps??

kapnkd

kapnkd
The Name on YOUR Transom and MORE! – Lifelong thoughts and reflections from life's experiences as the same 45 year original owner of an Ericson.

The name of one's boat often becomes a personal statement to a special belief, freedom or recognition of something special that may have occurred in one's life (hopefully)!

Over the years, I've seen many clever transoms reflecting exactly just this. Things like “Legal” for an attorney or “Docs Out” for a Dr. and even “Out House” for a house boat for a more comical approach. (The list can go on and on! It is worth, at the least, a special blog/column of it's own for sure!) ...One of the best and most true that most of us will relate to is "Money Pit"!!

When we bought our E-32 II new in '73 – we unanimously named her “Big Diehl” as with our last name being “Diehl”, that IS exactly just what she was! ...Expensive at the time, but DAM(N)!! was she ever pretty and worth every penny!! I had to go 50/50 with my parents, at age 29, to afford her back then. Dad was a catamaran lover and had one already, my mother couldn't even swim - not to mention my (then) wife wanted a house (of all things!) instead of a boat!!!

At any rate, ...down the road, not too shortly thereafter, the then wife disappeared and I had to honorably stick with it all – including our condo, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just to keep up my ½ share of the boating bargain payments. (Lots more to this story but NOT worth getting into!)

Ultimately, down the road, I survived, eventually remarried and eventually totally bought my parents share of the boat out. With a new son soon thereafter on the scene, I DID make him ½ owner of the boat at the tender age of 5 – as soon as he could write his own name! Some of you may be familiar with Cary (???). (Best TRUE story was his innocently asking right afterward was, “Dad, which half is mine??” to which I cleverly responded in TRUE seasoned skipper fashion, “THE BROKEN HALF!” ...At That point, we also officially renamed our E-32 from “Big Diehl” to “CaryOn” in HIS name to literally "Carry On" with her after I am gone. (AFTER ALL...NAMES DO HAVE MEANINGS!!)

Little did I know over the years his passion and love of boating would seriously grow leading him to ultimately becoming an engineer within the automotive field! He started out in Naval Architecture but soon realized that it was a very limited field success wise. Thanks to engineering friends at our club, he made some incredibly wise choices that have now led him to a VERY successful and promising career.

Through him and his incredible never ending quest for marine technological knowledge (while still working at West Marine to pay for college) HE became THE true guru of repair and preserving our boat, not to mention THE go to guy for any and ALL repairs or solutions for problems for the rest of the club as well!

Thanks to young Cary, we've managed to keep our boat up in incredible fashion to say the least. He has far exceeded me in abilities and knowledge over the years with regard to boating in a vast area of material abilities and technology. (I'm no slouch either - given my years of experiences plus having held a USCG license for 100 GT – Unlimited waters.) Frankly, it just doesn't get any better than this for me! As a seasoned 45 year owner of a 32 Ericson – WOW!! our Ericson and the Ford Yacht club helped shape his life into an incredible career for him – not to mention preserve our boat for his (and his new wife's) enjoyment and pleasure!! (Can't wait for future grandchildren to get them into boating as well as a grandpa!!!

I guess what I am trying to convey is that owning this boat has been an incredible tool and blessing in helping to shape not only my world of sailing but to bring my offspring up in and teach him the world through nature, recognition of it, self reliance and confidence in navigating it regardless of the circumstances. (Why else do we go down to the sea???) May YOUR Ericson boats do the same for YOU!!!!

Also, I would hope going forward, the two of us can possibly utilize our experiences and knowledge of “Been There Done It” and be of help to others of you in maintaining, preserving, restoring in keeping the Ericson Logo on our waters and bays!

(Old) kerry - kapnkd

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Boat Names

DISCOVERY came with the name after several owners and she'll keep the name as I Discovery how to sail but more importantly, the sailing life.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
"Makana" is the Hawaiian word for gift, or present.

The way this lovely boat fell into my life, after being so thoughtfully upgraded and then sailed to Hawaii by her previous owner... it just seems to fit.

As a bonus, "Makana" is the name of the mountain that looms over one of my favorite places on the planet - Ke'e beach on the north shore of Kauai.

Now I can say "I'm going to Makana to unwind for a while", and don't have to buy a plane ticket to get there ;-)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
"Arcturus" also came with the name. I was somewhat frustrated to realize that I couldn't think of any clever but crisp new name. Star names seem pretty good for boats. And there didn't seem to be too many other Arcturus's around. So, I let it ride. Meaning-wise, who Arcturus is depends on who you think Boötes is. Which depends on what you think the Big Dipper is. He's either tending it, or chasing it, or guarding it. If it's a plow, he's the plowman. It's also the zenith star of Hawaii, so there's that.

BTW: I checked the "uniqueness" of the name by looking at the Boat US list of names, based on orders for their lettering graphics. But someone recently pointed out a better, or at least more modern way. Go to marinetraffic.com and click on the search box, then type in your name or proposed name. For example, there are twelve vessels named Arcturus, worldwide, that have recently broadcast an AIS signal. Mine is the only sailboat among them. :egrin:

You can also search the FCC and Coastguard databases. This other MMSI database comes up with about 50 Arcturus's, half a dozen of which are sailboats.

Hmm... I seem to procrastinating again. Back to wurk.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Finding the "right" name is an interesting process, and can take some time.
Back in '76, we named the first (of 3) Ranger 20 sloops "Gone with the Wind"... it had a tangerine color hull and sort of conjured an image of the flames of Atlanta in the movie. Well, we thought so anyway. :rolleyes:

In '83 we bought our Niagara 26 and pondered a name for several years before putting Quicksilver on both flanks. We sold it in '93, and to this day, thru at least four more owners, the name is still there (renewed in the same font, even).

When we bought the O-34, it had a huge painted-on name on both flanks honoring the wife of the former owner, who was said to hated the boat. Oh well.

I removed that with a lot of solvent, and then applied "Fresh Air". If you know your rock bands of the 70's, you know the connection. Both boats.

Since a "fresh breeze" is also called a Force Five (17 to 21 kts), we like that because that's the TWS where the boat starts going over 9 kts, off the wind.

So, as the lyric sez, it's almost time for another ....."hit of fresh air..." :cool:

Gotta say that Kerry's narrative is the coolest I have heard in ages. Thanks for sharing!

Loren

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
vessel databases

Wow! those real time vessel databases are amazing - the worldwide AIS signal map is very interesting - Torres Strait is a busy place ;-).
marinetraffic.com
other MMSI database
Thanks for providing those links.
I'm considering changing the name my boat came with. I've temporarily (virtually) carried over the name of my previous boat - I removed old name but haven't painted a new name on the boat yet. I'm having trouble setting on a name 'theme', much less an actual new name. Plus, the Admiral has to buy into whatever name gets painted on the transom.

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Ghost came along on our San Juan when I was building it up from a shell. It was all white with no ports yet. I had a 23 page list of names I was going through when the wife looked out the kitchen window one night and said "That thing looks like a Ghost". The name stuck. Terra Nova was on the Ericson when I bought it in Canada. It means "new land", the original name for Newfoundland. It seems a proper name for one who was born in Vancouver, BC. The dink is Terra Bite.

frick

Member III
Naming of the Boat

The Name on YOUR Transom and MORE! – Lifelong thoughts and reflections from life's experiences as the same 45 year original owner of an Ericson.

Thanks so much for sharing... brought up some good memories.

The name of one's boat often becomes a personal statement to a special belief, freedom or recognition of something special that may have occurred in one's life (hopefully)!

Over the years, I've seen many clever transoms reflecting exactly just this. Things like “Legal” for an attorney or “Docs Out” for a Dr. and even “Out House” for a house boat for a more comical approach. (The list can go on and on! It is worth, at the least, a special blog/column of it's own for sure!) ...One of the best and most true that most of us will relate to is "Money Pit"!!

When we bought our E-32 II new in '73 – we unanimously named her “Big Diehl” as with our last name being “Diehl”, that IS exactly just what she was! ...Expensive at the time, but DAM(N)!! was she ever pretty and worth every penny!! I had to go 50/50 with my parents, at age 29, to afford her back then. Dad was a catamaran lover and had one already, my mother couldn't even swim - not to mention my (then) wife wanted a house (of all things!) instead of a boat!!!

At any rate, ...down the road, not too shortly thereafter, the then wife disappeared and I had to honorably stick with it all – including our condo, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just to keep up my ½ share of the boating bargain payments. (Lots more to this story but NOT worth getting into!)

Ultimately, down the road, I survived, eventually remarried and eventually totally bought my parents share of the boat out. With a new son soon thereafter on the scene, I DID make him ½ owner of the boat at the tender age of 5 – as soon as he could write his own name! Some of you may be familiar with Cary (???). (Best TRUE story was his innocently asking right afterward was, “Dad, which half is mine??” to which I cleverly responded in TRUE seasoned skipper fashion, “THE BROKEN HALF!” ...At That point, we also officially renamed our E-32 from “Big Diehl” to “CaryOn” in HIS name to literally "Carry On" with her after I am gone. (AFTER ALL...NAMES DO HAVE MEANINGS!!)

Little did I know over the years his passion and love of boating would seriously grow leading him to ultimately becoming an engineer within the automotive field! He started out in Naval Architecture but soon realized that it was a very limited field success wise. Thanks to engineering friends at our club, he made some incredibly wise choices that have now led him to a VERY successful and promising career.

Through him and his incredible never ending quest for marine technological knowledge (while still working at West Marine to pay for college) HE became THE true guru of repair and preserving our boat, not to mention THE go to guy for any and ALL repairs or solutions for problems for the rest of the club as well!

Thanks to young Cary, we've managed to keep our boat up in incredible fashion to say the least. He has far exceeded me in abilities and knowledge over the years with regard to boating in a vast area of material abilities and technology. (I'm no slouch either - given my years of experiences plus having held a USCG license for 100 GT – Unlimited waters.) Frankly, it just doesn't get any better than this for me! As a seasoned 45 year owner of a 32 Ericson – WOW!! our Ericson and the Ford Yacht club helped shape his life into an incredible career for him – not to mention preserve our boat for his (and his new wife's) enjoyment and pleasure!! (Can't wait for future grandchildren to get them into boating as well as a grandpa!!!

I guess what I am trying to convey is that owning this boat has been an incredible tool and blessing in helping to shape not only my world of sailing but to bring my offspring up in and teach him the world through nature, recognition of it, self reliance and confidence in navigating it regardless of the circumstances. (Why else do we go down to the sea???) May YOUR Ericson boats do the same for YOU!!!!

Also, I would hope going forward, the two of us can possibly utilize our experiences and knowledge of “Been There Done It” and be of help to others of you in maintaining, preserving, restoring in keeping the Ericson Logo on our waters and bays!

(Old) kerry - kapnkd

At the time we where sailing in a Venture 22 which we previously sailed on the upper Mississippi River.
We had moved to NY on the South Shore of Long Island.
One day in Church, we read Psalm 104, as it was in the Sunday lectionary.
My Daughter said, "Dad if we ever get a another sail boat, we should name it Leviathan

Here is the sea, great and wide,
which teems with creatures innumerable,
living things both small and great.

There go the ships,
and Leviathan, which you formed to play in it.
Psalm 104:25-26

By end of that first year, we up sized to an Ericson 29.
We named her Leviathan...

In Job Leviathan is a creature of chaos...
In the Psalms it is a playful creature.

And does that not describe sailing.

GregB

Member II
Boat Names

Great post for a rainy day!

We are S/V Ruach, a hebrew word for breath or spirit. Seemed like a great name for a sailboat, a couple of problems have cropped up: Marinas often have us down as Roach, no matter how clearly I articulate the spelling (Romeo, Uniform, Alpha etc.)

Also, people think we are super religious. (Which cracks me up...) Had an interesting religious discussion with a lock master one time before I remembered that lock masters are always, always right. Even when they are mistaken.

I think next time I will go for something less...Unique.

I contend that you can often tell if it is sailboat or powerboat based on the name alone. (eg: Aquaholics = powerboat / Star names = sailboats).

I always thought it would be fun to name a (power) boat either "On the rocks" or "Taking on water." Not sure the USCG would agree:

"USCG Sector puget sound, this is M/V Taking on water..."

Hanktoo

Member III
Around the time my wife and I got married, a Tom Cruise movie came out called “All the Right Moves”.
About a kid growing up in a tough luck Pa steel town and his only way out is to well , make all the right moves. My wife and I always loved the title track and the lyrics and it is our song. So when we finally got the boat, there was only one name “Right Moves”

There’s more for us than giving in
And only getting by
They say we’re going to sink or swim
But we intend to fly
And if we make the right moves
If we make all the right moves
We can show them all
There’s no way that we can lose
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="false" DefSemiHidden="false" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="371"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal Indent"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footnote text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="header"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footer"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="index heading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="table of figures"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="envelope address"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="envelope return"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="footnote reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="line number"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="page number"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="endnote reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="endnote text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="table of authorities"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="macro"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="toa heading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Bullet 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Number 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Closing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Signature"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text Indent"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="List Continue 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Message Header"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Salutation"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Date"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text First Indent"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text First Indent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Note Heading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text Indent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Body Text Indent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Block Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Hyperlink"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="FollowedHyperlink"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Document Map"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Plain Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="E-mail Signature"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Top of Form"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Bottom of Form"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal (Web)"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Acronym"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Address"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Cite"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Code"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Definition"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Keyboard"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Preformatted"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Sample"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Typewriter"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="HTML Variable"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Normal Table"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="annotation subject"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="No List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Outline List 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Simple 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Classic 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Classic 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Classic 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Classic 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Colorful 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Columns 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Grid 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table List 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table 3D effects 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Contemporary"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Elegant"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Professional"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Subtle 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Subtle 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Web 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Balloon Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Table Theme"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" SemiHidden="true" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" SemiHidden="true" UnhideWhenUsed="true" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="41" Name="Plain Table 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="42" Name="Plain Table 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="43" Name="Plain Table 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="44" Name="Plain Table 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="45" Name="Plain Table 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="40" Name="Grid Table Light"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="Grid Table 1 Light Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="Grid Table 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="Grid Table 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="Grid Table 4 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="Grid Table 5 Dark Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="Grid Table 6 Colorful Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="Grid Table 7 Colorful Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="46" Name="List Table 1 Light Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="47" Name="List Table 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="48" Name="List Table 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="49" Name="List Table 4 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="50" Name="List Table 5 Dark Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="51" Name="List Table 6 Colorful Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="52" Name="List Table 7 Colorful Accent 6"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:8.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:107%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

kapnkd

kapnkd
Don't forget to do the "de-naming" ceremony before putting *anything* with the new name on the boat...

http://www.sailnow.com/sail/denaming1a.html

You are TOTALLY correct! ...Did so with our boat and all has been well over the years! (Never temp the gods of sailing - especially if it involves a sacrificial rite of imbibing a delicious beverage with sacramental and even medicinal value.) ...Besides, our old Ericson took a special liking to the lad and over the years has given him far less "Boat Bites" (those inevitable scratches and cuts we get when working on boats) than given to me!!

...To say the least, I am more than surprised to see such incredible and supportive responses to my thoughts and comments I posted. It DOES seem perhaps to warrant a special section for our boat names, photos thereof and how they came to be. It WOULD be a fun and interesting section given the ingenuous and clever designs we now see. This section could be a real find for someone looking for that perfect name for their new boat.

Some of the names you all have chosen and just shared speak uniquely well and above what we did with "Big Diehl / CaryOn" for sure!!

After some nostalgic reflection, I pulled out a couple more photos I would like to share with all of you lending credence to my original commentary. (Young Cary will probably want to ring my neck for this but - what the heck - it's worth it.)

In the first photo of him, at a very young age, also note the name on the transom is HAND painted. This was the way it was done BEFORE computer generated vinyl graphics were around! The photo was taken a year or two before he officially became (probably) THE youngest Ericson owner ever! Like me, he loved going to the boat with me as it was always an adventure even if we were just dockside and only involved a chance to go fishing.

The second, and more current photos, is of him finishing installation of a new and more contemporary larger wheel on CaryOn. It was done as an "I LOVE YOU" surprise for me!! ...The wheel does slightly impede ingress/egress to the aft station BUT sure makes it easier to steer when sitting to a far side as most often we do.

The Third, DARN!!! ...They sure DO grow up fast!! Where did all that time go!?!!??? Glad it was spent ON THE WATER!!!

Fair Winds ALL! ...Keep those names and stories coming - they are GREAT!!!
-kapnkd

Cary Then.jpg

Attachments

• Cary Now.jpg
    Cary Now.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Cary Now2.jpg
    Cary Now2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
At the time we where sailing in a Venture 22 which we previously sailed on the upper Mississippi River.
We had moved to NY on the South Shore of Long Island.
One day in Church, we read Psalm 104, as it was in the Sunday lectionary.
My Daughter said, "Dad if we ever get a another sail boat, we should name it Leviathan

Here is the sea, great and wide,
which teems with creatures innumerable,
living things both small and great.

There go the ships,
and Leviathan, which you formed to play in it.
Psalm 104:25-26

By end of that first year, we up sized to an Ericson 29.
We named her Leviathan...

In Job Leviathan is a creature of chaos...
In the Psalms it is a playful creature.

And does that not describe sailing.

I REALLY love how and why you named your E-29 as you did - How appropriate and meaningful!

I was reminded of a good friend who owned a Venture 24 when I owned a Catalina 22 prior to the Ericson. We BOTH bought new boats at the same time. My friend purchased an Erwin 30 from a Miami marina who went bankrupt shortly after his purchase. His salesman called him up advising him to come grab something to protect the deposit he had made.

My friend rushed down to pick up a 20 foot pocket cruiser - and the name he chose for it till he could sell and purchase his Erwin 30 factory direct was "TURKEY". This was before vinyl graphics so I helped him paint the name in the shape of a Turkey. ...AHHHHH! THOSE were the (crazy) days!!!

Grizz

Grizz
Think "Budget", not 'laces'...

Initial naming criteria: A name with 2, perhaps a maximum of 3, syllables. Easily understood on a squawky VHF by anyone on the receiving end. Not a pun. Able to include a unique graphic (TBD). Not referenced in the selected databases of nautical names (this proved difficult).

Additional criteria that influenced the result: 2 kids would be in college in 2010 and we were solidly in the trough of the Recession, greatly impacting discretionary income.

After hours & hours of consideration, with 10 x's more time exerted than was expended to name both kids, this was finally agreed upon
_ShoestringRED_03-4-11.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Probably a good idea, when contemplating a name, to try saying it out loud. On the radio. And spelling it phonetically. This seems to eliminate a lot of them.

But what about the dinghy? I figure the dinghy to Arcturus must be "Lil Booty." But does each auxiliary craft in the fleet need its own unique name, or does the one taken on a trip automatically become "Lil Booty" for the day? Kind of like AirForce One... The other stars in Boötes are just called "beta-boo," "gamma-boo," "delta-boo," etc. So I suppose that works both ways.

Lately, when we're alone, I've just been calling Arcturus "Archie," so I suppose one could invoke Betty and Veronica. Maybe those should be the tiller-pilot and the wind-vane :rolleyes: On second thought, the tiller-pilot is definitely Jughead.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Probably a good idea, when contemplating a name, to try saying it out loud. On the radio. And spelling it phonetically. This seems to eliminate a lot of them.

But what about the dinghy? I figure the dinghy to Arcturus must be "Lil Booty." But does each auxiliary craft in the fleet need its own unique name, or does the one taken on a trip automatically become "Lil Booty" for the day? Kind of like AirForce One... The other stars in Boötes are just called "beta-boo," "gamma-boo," "delta-boo," etc. So I suppose that works both ways.

Lately, when we're alone, I've just been calling Arcturus "Archie," so I suppose one could invoke Betty and Veronica. Maybe those should be the tiller-pilot and the wind-vane :rolleyes: On second thought, the tiller-pilot is definitely Jughead.

Good question and perfect names to say the least!! ...I forgot to mention our dingy early on with the E32 still named "Big Diehl" was "NO Big Diehl". ;-)))

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Probably a good idea, when contemplating a name, to try saying it out loud. On the radio. And spelling it phonetically.

Very true!

I raced for a while on a boat called Huckleberry Duck (long story)... and spelling that phonetically for morning check-ins on long distance races was a pain!

"iki" is the Hawaiian word for "small", or "tiny", so my dinghy (in theory) is "Makana Iki".... but there's been no naming ceremony as yet.