• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M5432 Exhaust Elbow

michaelsanders

Greetings all!
My wife and I are the proud new owner of an 1986 Ericson 38-200. Her name is Windig 3.
She has her original Universal 5432 engine. There appears to be a small amount of exhaust leaking out of the wet elbow. It wrapped in insulation, so assessing the condition is difficult. I don't want to pull the insulation until I know where to source a replacement elbow. I am looking for suppliers that serve the public for the Universal marine parts, as well as Kubota parts where they are interchangeable. I found the thread with the cross reference information! I appreciate the intel.
I am located in the lowcountry of South Carolina.
Thanks in advance for the help!
-Michael

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
This is the part I used to replace ours when it rusted and leaked. The remainder of the system can be built from plumbing pipes and hoses sourced locally. You will likely need a new exhaust flange from Westerbeke, as well. It’s a chore, but you will probably want to replace everything metal beyond the flange as one big assembly. It’s a good time to clean the heat exchanger and replace hoses, too. http://onanparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=425

Mike Jacker

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I installed an Yanmar s/s exhaust elbow kit on my M25XP today. I believe all these small Universal's use the same size elbow. The exhaust on my engine is 1 1/4" The front of the Yanmar mixer is 1 1/2". I used a 1 1/4" X 1 1/2" elbow after a short 1 1/4 nipple. The kit is important as it reverses the threads so they fit a standard pipe fitting. The wet side is a 1 1/4" pipe size so my exhaust hose fit exactly. Don't forget the exhaust flange gasket which you have to get from the Universal dealer. $3.95 plus shipping. I soaked the nuts and the close nipple in PB Blaster for two days and they popped right off.

The Yanmar exhaust elbow kit 104214-13521 and 104214 - 13580 were purchased on Ebay for $172.00.

Good luck with the repair.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Michael,
By the way, congratulations on the new boat. I think you and your wife will enjoy her.
The part number for the exhaust flange is: 298599. The part number for the necessary gasket is: 298600. A Westerbeke dealer should be able to obtain these parts for the universal 5432.
There are some other threads on this forum discussing exhaust elbows and the variety of repairs Ericson owners have made previously.
Good luck!
Mike

michaelsanders

Thanks for all of the responses!
I am sure I will still have additional questions once I get into it.
We have really enjoyed our 38-200 so far. She tacks like a dinghy, and keeps moving in very light winds.
I look forward to sharing our experiences with this community!
-Michael