• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuck in La Cruise Mexico

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Raw water pump (Oberdorfer) on Universal M40 1982 has to much play... and forms air pockets. Will a Jobsco 3273 mount to drive? No one here has parts or pumps.
Thanks... oh what to do.
Runs OK for about an hour at low 1500 rpm then heats up and tops out...
Replacing All hoses, water coming in thru-hull, filter replaced with larger screen,
Heat exchanger acid washed with new zinc. Still overheats?

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Ralph,
Are you sure air getting into the pump is your problem? Have you checked the thermostat on the coolant side of the system to see if it is sticking closed?
If it is the pump, where is the air getting in? Through the rim of the impeller cover? Through the pump shaft seals? What do you mean by “too much play”?
Mike Jacker

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Also, the raw cooling water has to have a place to exit. Have you checked the injection elbow fitting into the exhaust line for clogs? No water out means no water in....

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
When is cooling...

Also, the raw cooling water has to have a place to exit. Have you checked the injection elbow fitting into the exhaust line for clogs? No water out means no water in....
The water goes through the system when it is running, when it stops is the problem.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Took off pump...

Ralph,
Are you sure air getting into the pump is your problem? Have you checked the thermostat on the coolant side of the system to see if it is sticking closed?
If it is the pump, where is the air getting in? Through the rim of the impeller cover? Through the pump shaft seals? What do you mean by “too much play”?
Mike Jacker

The front cover plate is badly worn, folks seem to think faster it goes it might be pulling air and form a air gap.
The Jobsco will not work as I need the Male fitting to go into drive shaft. Every thing poi ts to the raw water side. When the thermostat opens around 165 up goes the temp. To over 210 and pegged. I only have 1600 NM to go but would like to have an engine.
What model pumps do other M40 universal engines gave cannot find that online. Stamped on pump side is 6595? Does any one have a cross referance? Thanks for any help

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I put on a new Oberdorfer N202M-07, matching the existing Obrdorfer but with sealed bearing and no grease cup.

My engine is a 5432, but I think an M40 is the same pump.

You didn't mention the impeller, which was of course the first thing you checked.

They are very simple pumps, very little to go wrong if the impeller is spinning and it doesn't leak. .

If pumping is intermittent, pull ithe pump off the block and check the slot connector on the axis that spins it.

It is possible for the male/female connection to the engine to disengage because it wasn' t inserted correctly.

To test basic pumping, you can disconnect the outflow hose, put it in a bucket, and run the engine a minute. Flow should be strong.

Does water still come out the exhaust when the engine overheats?

To isolate the problem to the raw water pump, I might try putting a dock water hose on the heat exchanger hose (tape it? hold it?). Turn off the raw water seacock and run the engine to the usual overheating point. If it never overheats that would be good information. (I'm not a mechanic and have never tried do that).

Last edited:

debonAir

Member III
The front cover plate is badly worn, folks seem to think faster it goes it might be pulling air and form a air gap.
The Jobsco will not work as I need the Male fitting to go into drive shaft. Every thing poi ts to the raw water side. When the thermostat opens around 165 up goes the temp. To over 210 and pegged. I only have 1600 NM to go but would like to have an engine.
What model pumps do other M40 universal engines gave cannot find that online. Stamped on pump side is 6595? Does any one have a cross referance? Thanks for any help

The front cover plate wear is a strong suspect in the pump not working. If water is coming out the exhaust when cool, but then stops after a bit, it could be the pump cover (happened to me a bunch of times).

When the pump stops working, stop the engine, take the cover plate off and pack the impeller with K-Y jelly and squirt some up the intake side if possible. Replace the cover, and then start the engine. If you get water back running then I'd strongly suspect the pump cover. (you can use vaseline too, but I would worry about where that would end up in the heat exchanger, etc.)

I've heard that you can carefully resurface the cover plate with sandpaper on a very flat surface, using finer grit till she's shiny. My solution was getting a new oberdorfer. If you're in a pinch, like it seems, I can't picture any downside to flattening the surface if you can. Just go slow and start with 200 or finer wet paper I'd think.

Call Scott Hutto at Pumps & Parts online 800-536-7867. I bought my new one there at a price lower than what I saw used "refurbished" ones for elsewhere. He'll be able to tell what pump you need based on engine info, pics, etc.

Good Luck!

Oh, PS, one thing I thought of (the day after my last near-overheat) is that I could have used my water-heater tank system as an emergency cooling system. The engine coolant runs through the hot water tank and if I ran my hot water it would pump cool fresh water into the tank cooling the engine. If I could extend my shower head a bit I could get it to reach the stbd tank inspection port and use the tank and shower plumbing has a heat sink. I think that, and taking off the engine cover could almost allow continuous use of the engine at slow cruise. I plan on keeping my fresh water hose onboard all the time and getting a fitting for the sink faucet maybe... but the new pump is so reliable that had slipped my mind.

Last edited:

Kerry Kukucha

Member II
The high temp issue you've described sounds similar to an air lock on the coolant side of the system - I've experienced this a number of times after draining and replacing coolant. To remedy the air lock, I've had to detach the highest coolant return hose (which returns from the hot water tank loop) & bleed/suck-out the air lock until coolant flowed through the hose & then quickly re-attach the hose.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The high temp issue you've described sounds similar to an air lock on the coolant side of the system - I've experienced this a number of times after draining and replacing coolant. To remedy the air lock, I've had to detach the highest coolant return hose (which returns from the hot water tank loop) & bleed/suck-out the air lock until coolant flowed through the hose & then quickly re-attach the hose.

Lots of us have petcocks on this hose at the high point for this purpose.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Todo Vela Mexico is in La Cruz.

https://www.todovelamexico.com/pages/about-us

Todo Vela Mexico is Mexico’s #1 leader when it comes to outfitting performance sailors. Why? Because we are passionate sailors, ourselves.
Jesse is a Certified Race Officer, having spent most of his life racing on small sailboats, like Snipes, Sunfish, Lasers, and Optimists. Janet has, likewise, been competing out on the water her entire adult life.
After spending decades sailing and competing all over the US, they came down to Mexico on vacation and, quite simply, fell in love. With the people, the culture, and the unique sailing opportunities available here, in Bahía de Banderas.
Jesse says, "Once we made Mexico our home, we discovered Mexican sailors, at both local and national regattas, were having trouble finding parts to support their racing efforts. What began as a hobby, to help our friends, grew into the business you see today. We make it so that Mexican racers can get the equipment they need, right here, in Mexico."
No more having to buy your parts from a US or European supplier and then waiting and hoping it will clear Aduana, before your next race. We take the headache out of sourcing boats, sails, and parts for Optimists, C420s, Lasers, Sunfish, large racing sailboats, and even cruising sailboats.
Our inventory for one-design sailboats includes all of the replacement parts for Laser sailboats, Optimist sailing dinghies, C420 sailboats and also windsurf equipment by Bic and RS:X. We buy direct from the most popular marine hardware manufacturers, like Harken and Ronstan, Laser Performance, Optiparts, Rooster Sailing, Zhik, Marlow Ropes, and J-Sails.
We're also the National Distributors for:

• Marlow Ropes
  • Winner Optimist Sailboats
  • J-Sails
  • Zhik
  • Gill
  • Rooster Sailing
Conveniently located in the sailing center of Mexico,right on Bahía de Banderas, in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, we're perfectly situated to serve sailors throughout Mexico. If needed, we deliver to Paradise Village and Marina Vallarta, in Nuevo Vallarta, and can easily ship all over Mexico.
Come visit our 400 square meter retail store, filled to the brim with everything for one-design racing sailboats, and also sailing and motor yachts.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
La Cruz

Ralph,
I've spent time at the Marina in La Cruz searching for engine parts, as well. It's not a bad place to be stuck. (I was there for a few weeks March, 2015) Are you in the marina or at the anchorage? It is very easy to take a bus into Puerto Vallarta. It stops right in front of Zaragoza Marine, the best chandlery you will find in the area. They can often obtain engine parts.
http://zaragozamarine.com.mx/.
You probably can find someone in the area with spares on their boat if you need a gasket or something by checking out the Bandera Bay VHF net in the mornings.
Mike Jacker

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
In the marina

Ralph,
I've spent time at the Marina in La Cruz searching for engine parts, as well. It's not a bad place to be stuck. (I was there for a few weeks March, 2015) Are you in the marina or at the anchorage? It is very easy to take a bus into Puerto Vallarta. It stops right in front of Zaragoza Marine, the best chandlery you will find in the area. They can often obtain engine parts.
http://zaragozamarine.com.mx/.
You probably can find someone in the area with spares on their boat if you need a gasket or something by checking out the Bandera Bay VHF net in the mornings.
Mike Jacker

Going there to get hoses on Monday. Place is Full of puddle jumpers (go in April).
Lots of good folks but No parts that work for me. Thanks

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Been there...

Todo Vela Mexico is in La Cruz.

https://www.todovelamexico.com/pages/about-us

Todo Vela Mexico is Mexico’s #1 leader when it comes to outfitting performance sailors. Why? Because we are passionate sailors, ourselves.
Jesse is a Certified Race Officer, having spent most of his life racing on small sailboats, like Snipes, Sunfish, Lasers, and Optimists. Janet has, likewise, been competing out on the water her entire adult life.
After spending decades sailing and competing all over the US, they came down to Mexico on vacation and, quite simply, fell in love. With the people, the culture, and the unique sailing opportunities available here, in Bahía de Banderas.
Jesse says, "Once we made Mexico our home, we discovered Mexican sailors, at both local and national regattas, were having trouble finding parts to support their racing efforts. What began as a hobby, to help our friends, grew into the business you see today. We make it so that Mexican racers can get the equipment they need, right here, in Mexico."
No more having to buy your parts from a US or European supplier and then waiting and hoping it will clear Aduana, before your next race. We take the headache out of sourcing boats, sails, and parts for Optimists, C420s, Lasers, Sunfish, large racing sailboats, and even cruising sailboats.
Our inventory for one-design sailboats includes all of the replacement parts for Laser sailboats, Optimist sailing dinghies, C420 sailboats and also windsurf equipment by Bic and RS:X. We buy direct from the most popular marine hardware manufacturers, like Harken and Ronstan, Laser Performance, Optiparts, Rooster Sailing, Zhik, Marlow Ropes, and J-Sails.
We're also the National Distributors for:

• Marlow Ropes
  • Winner Optimist Sailboats
  • J-Sails
  • Zhik
  • Gill
  • Rooster Sailing
Conveniently located in the sailing center of Mexico,right on Bahía de Banderas, in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, we're perfectly situated to serve sailors throughout Mexico. If needed, we deliver to Paradise Village and Marina Vallarta, in Nuevo Vallarta, and can easily ship all over Mexico.
Come visit our 400 square meter retail store, filled to the brim with everything for one-design racing sailboats, and also sailing and motor yachts.
Great store... got some hose & fittings. Got Big raw water strainer 1" out lets... now to find reduction outlet fittings. Sells the parts not the fittings? New pump on the way from USA.
STILL TRYING to sail back to Nicaragua. 1/3 of the way.

kmac

The Jabsco 29460-1631 works on a Kubota D1105 engine. Other Jabsco 29460-???? may work as well or better without modifying the mounting clips.