• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Lewmar at West

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If anyone is thinking of replacing winches.... West Marine is starting a "super-sale" tomorrow, including a buy-one-get-one-free deal on any Lewmar winches.

Bruce

gadangit

Member III
If anyone is thinking of replacing winches.... West Marine is starting a "super-sale" tomorrow, including a buy-one-get-one-free deal on any Lewmar winches.

Bruce

Hi Bruce-
Must be a local sale? Nothing more than 10% off at their website. I'd probably bite on two for the price of one.

Chris

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
There was a thing in yesterday's mail - prices good March 15-18 only. BTW: Docklines 40% off. It's time. After last months' rambunctious weather there is some serious chafe.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
West Marine is promoting their price matching policy. I recently added a second jiffy reefing line, furling line and jib sheets and used the price matching to save on the line I purchased from West Marine. Dynamic Sailor prices online where quite a bit cheaper and they matched it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It's a tempting deal, but I don't know if I really need self-tailing. I've gotten pretty good at steering with my toes...

gadangit

Member III
Ah, that facebook thing.

It is timely, I have a pair of 3 speed Barients sitting in the cockpit from a J44 that we were contemplating. They are entirely too large, but not by as much as you'd think.

One of the biggest complaints we have on the boat is grinding in the genoa when tacking. I measured the other day, we have Barients that are 44 power. I wonder if 46 is even much of a difference? So we are looking at a 52 or so.

Chris

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Wow. I've got 44's and my boat is half the size. Of course, they are a little big for it, but nice to have. I think the only time I've used the second gear was to *ahem* kedge off a sandbar.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Size Matters

It is timely, I have a pair of 3 speed Barients sitting in the cockpit from a J44 that we were contemplating. They are entirely too large, but not by as much as you'd think.
Chris

Hi Chris,

Really? Is this even possible?

But seriously, I upgraded from Barient 28 to Barient 32ST primaries. At 10 - 12 kts with a 150 LP genoa (520 sq ft) they are not too big. I am using the low speed only with 9.5 inch Harken winch handles. I am seriously considering getting at least one 12 inch handle to get more power. You can grind with both arms with self-tailers if the power is marginal and you don't ever have to mess with the sheet except to release sheet. The only negative I see is that the older Barient ST jaws are set up for BIG sheets and the jaws don't adjust down to smaller modern lines. I just use big, low tech line for the sheets. It's cheap, super easy on the hands and doesn't stretch any more than high tech piano wire because it's only loaded to a low percent of it's working load.

What size Barient 3 speeds are you contemplating?

Mark

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The only negative I see is that the older Barient ST jaws are set up for BIG sheets and the jaws don't adjust down to smaller modern lines.

I don't know about the 32STs, but my Barient 27STs had a spacer plate inside the self-tailing mechanism that dictated the spacing of the jaws. Removing that plate allows them to grip smaller lines.

$.02
Bruce

gadangit

Member III
Hi Chris,

Really? Is this even possible?

But seriously, I upgraded from Barient 28 to Barient 32ST primaries. At 10 - 12 kts with a 150 LP genoa (520 sq ft) they are not too big. I am using the low speed only with 9.5 inch Harken winch handles. I am seriously considering getting at least one 12 inch handle to get more power. You can grind with both arms with self-tailers if the power is marginal and you don't ever have to mess with the sheet except to release sheet. The only negative I see is that the older Barient ST jaws are set up for BIG sheets and the jaws don't adjust down to smaller modern lines. I just use big, low tech line for the sheets. It's cheap, super easy on the hands and doesn't stretch any more than high tech piano wire because it's only loaded to a low percent of it's working load.

What size Barient 3 speeds are you contemplating?

Mark
Barient 37s, I can have them for $750.
The bolt patterns on our winches are well within the horizontal surface, but the bigger winches have a very wide bolt pattern. I'd have to do some pretty serious modifications to make them work. I just measured, I believe they are 81 power with 10" handles. We know how awesome they are from our time on the J44.

We do, of course, luff up when necessary to help the grinder. We are semi-retiring from the racing scene, so perhaps the cruising game will make a bigger winch kinda moot.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Chris,

That is a killer deal. My 32ST coat $1200. The 37-3 has much more power. I don't think it looks oversize either compared to the existing chrome winch. Can you move the old primaries to the secondary position?

If you're planning on keeping the boat I'd get them. They will be nice as your arms get older.

Mark

gadangit

Member III
Chris,

That is a killer deal. My 32ST coat $1200. The 37-3 has much more power. I don't think it looks oversize either compared to the existing chrome winch. Can you move the old primaries to the secondary position?

If you're planning on keeping the boat I'd get them. They will be nice as your arms get older.

Mark
Hi Mark-
I know, it is very tempting for sure. Moving the primaries back to the secondary position would require even more modification as the base is much bigger than the mounting surface. You can see how a piece of teak is already supporting the secondary winch. IF we did any modifying I would re-angle the mounting surface inboard instead of outboard. Trying to get up over that winch when heeling requires some faith and knee pads.

What is interesting is the new Lewmar winches are reducing the diameter of the drum to gain the additional leverage. The Lewmar Ocean #50 is about identical in gear ratio, just a smaller drum. It might even fit the old bolt holes.

Yes, we are keeping the boat. In theory it will be the last boat we own. :)

In the meantime, the big 3 speeds will go back to the storage trailer and we'll keep on grinding!
Chris

markvone

Sustaining Member
Wow, big winches.

Personally, if the genny is hard to crank, I just head up and luff it.

For me mostly sailing solo, with Auto tacking and driving the boat, it's simpler to grind in the genny with a big winch than try and convince him to complete too complex a maneuver. :)