• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cockpit compartment, what is it for?

jrencher

I have an E 26 and there is a strange shaped compartment on the port side of the cockpit that is almost cylindrical. The lid of this compartment is almost the shape of a toilet seat with a finger hole in the middle to lift off the lid. The bottom is fitted with a drain that goes down directly to a thru-hull fitting. My friend and I have only speculated on what it could be for (propane, anchor, ice box, etc.) but both of us are novices and wondering if anyone out there may be able to enlighten us.
Thanks for your time
Justin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lpg....

Sounds like an 80's E-26-2. Big boats for their length, with lots of nice interior features. Have you d/l the brochure from elsewhere on this site?

My guess: a propane locker. Should be room in there for a tank, solenoid, and a place for the hose and wires to exit at the top, that can be sealed around the hose. Nice feature to have it you decide to install a propane cooker and/or bulkhead heater. I had both of these in my prior 26 foot sloop (not an Ericson).

Loren

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Locker

Definitely a cooking gas locker, for sure. Of course, it can double as an outdoor head! Convert your stove to gas and enjoy!

Seth

jrencher

Thanks guys

Thank you both for your responses and consistency in information. But why does it drain directly down through the hull. It seems a poor excuse to put yet another hole in the boat. Please pardon my for my skepticism I do not wish to bring into question either of your expertise on this subject, but am a beginner and full of curiosity and questions. Doesn't it seem strange to drill a hole in the boat for drainage out of a compartment that is designed to hold a propane tank. Also, the boat is equipped with an alcohol stove; should I convert?

Guys,
I believe that the hole in the cooking gas tank storage locker is so that if gas is accidentally vented into the locker the fumes have some place to go, propane being heavier than air. I am not an engineer, but someone on this site can either verify what I posit as correct or all wet. What say you?
Morgan Stinemetz

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Morgan is right. LPG is heavier than air. That's why it is so dangerous to have any in your bilge. The locker vent has to be lower than the floor of the locker and should not normaly be submerged (or it would not function).
Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Gas locker

And finally, the biggest reason is that it is a LEGAL requirement for on-deck gas lockers to have an INDEPENDENT drainage/vent system....
Good times,
Seth

eric35II

Member I
propane tank

hi all

to be on the safe side you can install an lp gas detector..but this thread brings up an interesting point in my case. am looking to purchase a 74 35II
the propane tank is in the starboard locker and i haven't investigated if its vented or not. i don't think it is. if there are any 35II readers out there perhaps they can enlighten me.

thanks
greg

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If whoever installed the gas had a clue (the original stove option for my 1972 was alcohol, not gas, so it was not Ericson installed) they would have vented the tank properly. The original lockers were open to the bilge.
If they didn't, that affects the value of the boat, although there is no reason why it could not be done properly now.
Gareth

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
While we are on the subject, has anyone any experience using a methane stove vice propane? I.E. experience of how widely available the fuel is in north America, or cruising, and how long a tank lasts in daily use?

From what I remember of organic chemistry, it would yield considerably less energy per drop in pressure, meaning the tank would have to be refilled more often, but would rise out of the boat in the event of a leak rather than sinking into the bilge.

Gareth

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fuel Choices....

I wonder if you are referring to "CNG" which was installed in quite a few boats in the 80's. Since it is lighter than air, owners felt reassured that their boat was less likely to explode in case of a leak.
Tanks were very high pressure, and quite heavy.
Nowadays, it is almost impossible to find convenient places to get them re-filled, at least here in the NW. The local gas company may still have this service available, since they service the tanks in CNG-powered vehicles.

For this reason, you can often find complete CNG systems for sale in marine used goods stores/consignment shops.

If the potential hazzards of propane (LPG) bother you, why not go with the non-pressure Origo alcohol stove? An Origo model 6000 was installed as the stock cooker on our '88 Olson(Ericson built) and is working flawlessly. I initially planned to change to propane, like my prior boat. We found little need to spend the considerable money and time to convert over, after getting used to the simplicity of the Origo...
:)

Best,
Loren in PDX

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Yes - methane and natural gas are the same thing. Good point about it becoming more widespread in the transport industry.

Another question, which I have been thinking about all day:

What good is a gas vent to a through hull below the water line? That is how I understand the system on the boat that started this thread. Propane is not water soluble, so if not vented to the atmosphere, would just build up in the hose going down from the locker, and still create an explosive mix in the locker itself.

Does anyone know exactly what the regulations say?

Gareth

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The low vent is for any posssible escaped propane to freely exit the boat, since this gas is heavier than air.....
(And the vent must be open and not plugged by water at normal hull loading and floating positions.)
AFAIK your surveyor and insurer will insist on this for an LPG storage locker, as well as it being gas-tight sealed from the rest of the boat interior.

Loren

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Justin - could you clarify this?

I read your message to indicate the locker vented below the waterline, if so, it is not suitable for propane.

If it drains into the ocean, my best guess is that it was designed for fishing bait.

Gareth