• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal M25 Fuel System Order / Arrangement / Layout / Diagram

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
So I was perusing my trusty M25 Owners Manual (downloaded on this site) and came across the fuel system diagram which looked peculiar to me due to the fact that I believe this was NOT the way it was set up on my particular vessel (E35-3).
Here is the layout, per the manual:
Fuel System - Universal M Series - Labeled.jpg
T (the tank) is on the port side beneath the quarter berth. Then the diagram goes on to say that from the tank the fuel line should lead to a pre-filter, then to the electric pump, then to the on-engine spin-on filter and finally to the injection pump system and injectors.

On my vessel, the electric pump and pre-filter are flip-flopped. So my system goes: T (Tank) - 2 (Electric Pump) - 1 (Cartridge filter) 3 (on-engine spin-on filter).
What this means is that the electric pump gets the dirty nasty fuel straight out of the tank! I suppose the good news is that the fuel is then double-filtered prior to going into the injection system, but that doesn't help my electric pump any...

MY M25 Fuel System Layout.jpg

Does anyone else have this arrangement, or is your system "as shown" in the M25 manual? Any assistance here would be much appreciated. Since all the lines are copper here, and I'm handy with a flare tool, it would be simple enough to buy a coil of copper line and re-vamp the system to flow as-shown in the manual, but this would cause it to criss-cross the engine compartment. I could alternatively swap the locations of the pump and cartridge filter.

Anyone have this setup? As always your kind and honest opinions are most welcome!

Attachments

• Fuel System - Universal M Series.jpg
    Fuel System - Universal M Series.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 117

hodo

Member III
Fuel flow

The drawing is typical, and I believe correct. There is a screen/filter in the pump, and if this gets plugged, you will shut down. These pumps are better at pushing fuel, than pulling fuel. I would plumb it according to the drawing, tank, primary filter, pump, secondary filter, High pressure pump.
Harold

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Agree. Although I would say that in the correct installation the pump is "pulling" from the primary filter.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Thanks for the input!!!

I will do accordingly. I do believe the cartridge filter is fairly free flowing so it should be fairly easy for the electric pump to draw past.

I'll most likely flip-flop the pump and filter however, so I won't be crossing the engine compartment twice with the fuel lines. I will need to extend the fuel pump wire however.

Thanks once again, and happy sailing!
:egrin: