• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hazard of assumption

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Last week I was sailing along a few miles off of Ocean View heading east. Nice breeze. I was sitting on the leeward side. We were on a reach so I could see, under the jib, ahead just fine.
I noticed a power boat coming at an acute angle to me from the Little Creek area. Didn't really pay that much attention. It was a clear day I could see him just like I assumed he could see me.

After a few minutes he hadn't crossed me yet so I peaked over the cabin roof to get a visual. He was still heading at a close angle for me. I then took notice. There are miles of bay around and this guy just is being friendly and wants to come near for a wave. Fine.

Finally he's maybe 50 feet off my starboard beam when I, standing by now, wave. The person piloting the roaring multi engine outboard has music playing loudly to get over the engines' noise, is looking down at something; reading the paper, watching a youtube, staring at a chart plotter- I could only guess. She (close enough now to see he was a she) never looked up during the whole crossing. My guess is that she never knew I was there.

I plopped down, stunned. If only I had my air horn in the cockpit with me I could have gotten her attention.

Dang! what a lesson. I assumed she saw me. And we all know what assume means, only in this case, I would have been run over by the giant bow of an ocean going outboard.

I now carry the air horn in the cockpit where it is easy to get to.

Starduff

Member II
Very, very scary. It only goes to show how you have to watch out for the "other guy" all the time. The previous owner of my boat once told me he would see people come into some money and buy a boat without a thought to how to operate it or any knowledge of "The Rules Of The Road".
Thank God you and your boat are ok.

Polonius
E-28

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I love that Ferry video. I mean, unfortunate incident aside, the PLUNK of the impact and the fact that the boat is named Nap Tyme is too damn perfect.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Had a close call in heavy fog with a speedboat doing 20 knots. Came very close to hitting us. Had the air horn blasting but I’m sure they couldn’t hear over the engines. Our radar helped us prepare.