• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Trouble Removing Edson Steering Wheel

cworley

Hello - New Ericson 27 owner, hoping to refinish the steering wheel, but can't get it off. Anyone have any suggestions? Was able to remove washer, nut, and tension bolt. It has a key, so not sure if the key has to be removed or the wheel will slide off, with some force and anti-corrosion spray. Thanks in advance.
IMG_8809.jpgIMG_8808.jpg

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Try PB blaster available at auto stores. Let soak a day or two. the wheel should break loose. Reinstall with waterproof grease. Should slide off after that.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Like Bob said, but you may have to repeat the process several times over several days. Also, tap both parts 10-20 times with a light hammer after spraying with PBblaster. You're not trying to knock the parts loose at this point, just set up vibrations to help the oil soak into/past the corrosion. If that doesn't work try heating the wheel hub with a torch before/after/between spraying. Given long enough, the PBbLaster will soak in and loosen the parts. It took me a week to get my exhaust manifold and riser apart this way.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm not familiar with this sort of wheel on a 27, but let's say it was stock Edson and the hold-on nut assembly, now removed, made obvious sense when you took it off. Also, there really is a key in the keyway, and the wheel is not held on in some non-standard way.

So, I would make a "prop puller" out of three big C-clamps pulling against pieces of strategic 2x4s.

It is easier than pounding with a hammer because the prop puller pulls against itself, and the principle of the threaded screw is powerful.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Sometimes Harbor Freight comes in handy - this worked for me and was priced right for a one-time use tool, although I have no doubt it will last a long time. My pedestal is not an Edson though, it is a Merriman.

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-three-jaw-gear-puller-69224.html

...Some may shudder when hearing the words "Harbor Freight" but my son as an excellent adage for them "If using the tool won't kill you - GO FOR IT!"

He's correct as their cheaper prices often will let you replace the more expensive ones more than once.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
This is not a stock wheel. Someone wanted to have the boat look "Yachty". The dissimilar materials on the shaft and wheel are causing the problem. The wheel does look a little small for the boat. The wheel should be removed and re-greased every 6 months or so. It would be tempting to re-convert the wheel to a tiller.

cworley

Thanks! PB Blaster is gold!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. As predicted the PB blaster worked, only had to give it 2 squirts and let sit for 2 hrs, popped right off. Now I have try and sand, recondition the wood on the wheel. It has a stainless steel round pipe around the wooden wheel. I like the look, but it is in rough shape. The previous owner kept the tiller in working order, so could remover the pedestal if needed. I like the steering wheel, but good to have an emergency back up tiller if needed. There is a wooden tiller in the hold.

Anyone have any ideas on best way to strip the lacquer, sand and fix the swollen joints of the wheel? I will post a new thread and see if anyone has done this before.

Thanks again - Chuck