• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 new sails!

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
Good day you salty sailors,

I am considering purchasing new main and headsail for Merrimist 1986 E38200.

Given I am considering a main with ability for 3 reefs (in a blow) and a 110% furling headsail. Most sailing will be single or occasionally short handed cruising.

My questions follow, has anyone bought and can recommend manufacturer or sail loft reasonably priced on east coast USA.
Asking experienced sailors/cruisers, on preference or pros and cons of different materials and sail weights for the 110 headsail and main for the E38. Any comments and or advice is welcomed before I commit to forking out for a new wardrobe for the old girl.

Hammy in Grenada.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Hammy,

I have a UK 9 oz Dacron mainsail with full-length battens and three reefs. Nine ounces is heavy cloth and lasts long. If I were sailing around buoys I would consider UK Tape Drive, which I had before, and which is waaay cool.

My 120 genoa is about 420 square feet and plenty for cruising even in our light-air zone. The high clew makes for good visibility and less movement of the fairlead. A deck-sweeper design is racier, and again, moving up from straight Dacron is worth the extra money.

New sails are absolutely great, and mine still look pretty new after nearly two years and 5,000 nm.

Lazyjacks? I'm a big fan.

New sail cover? You'll probably need one. I would not have a sail cover with slots for lazyjacks again. Too much trouble on and off. I would have a standard sail cover, and move the lazyjacks to the mast before sail cover goes on. I find I need to put gaskets on anyhow, in the leisure of the slip, for careful flaking and to shape the full battens for the cover. Lazyjacks are wonderful, though, and I'll never be without them again. Made of light Spectra with no blocks necessary they are very unobtrusive.

Tides sail track. If you are considering one, they have proprietary slugs to be sew on by a sailmaker, and new sails will need that. Tides system solves all problems associated with sticky old mast tracks.

Here are some prices from 2016 (they're not exactly what I chose). I ordered from UK simply because our local rep is available and honorable.

Mainsail, full batten, 3 reefs, Tape Drive Silver = $4964
Furling Jib, Tape Drive Silver, Sunbrella cover, vertical battens = $4915

<o:p></o:p>
Mainsail, full batten, 3 reefs, 9.1 oz. Dimension/Polyant Dacron = $3384
Furling Jib, Sunbrella cover, vertcal battens, 8.2 oz. Dimension/Polyant Dacron= $3170
<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner

Given I am considering a main with ability for 3 reefs (in a blow) and a 110% furling headsail. Most sailing will be single or occasionally short handed cruising.

For single handing I would for sure suggest a sail track. I had the Harken Battcar system, which was marvelous, though expensive. And for the main, I had a UK sail stack type system with the integrated cover that I loved.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author

My questions follow, has anyone bought and can recommend manufacturer or sail loft reasonably priced on east coast USA.
Asking experienced sailors/cruisers, on preference or pros and cons of different materials and sail weights for the 110 headsail and main for the E38. Any comments and or advice is welcomed before I commit to forking out for a new wardrobe for the old girl.

Hammy in Grenada.

I ordered new 135 Genoa 7.7oz and Main 8.6oz from Mack Sails in Florida http://macksails.com/ they were offering a boat show special (-10%) at the Newport International Boat Show last fall at a total cost of ~$6,800. I compared them to Doyle, North Sails, Quantum etc. Mack Sails were very competitive and easy to deal with.

My Genoa is miter cut with foam luff, sunbrella cover, numbers etc. The Main has full battens, adjustable battslide fittings and 2 reefs, tell tales, numbers, insignia etc. In addition I have had them install a Dutchman system on the main. I've come to like my current Main with the Dutchman system and the use of a separate sail cover, however the Dutchman system requires an attached foot on the Main.

The sails were delivered to me last week and appear to be a quality product but I won't be able to tell for sure for another 9 weeks until we re-step the mast and splash the boat. Dealing with Mack sails to date has been a pleasure and it's nice when the owners (Travis and Colin) reach out to you directly.

Good luck.

Last edited:

frick

Member III
Doyle

Hammy in Grenada.

I had Doyle make my new Main Sail. They have a shop on Long Island.
Interesting to note. I also called North.... by the time they called me back,
Doyle had my sail already made and bend on my Boat.

Rick+

JSM

Member III
I ordered new 135 Genoa 7.7oz and Main 8.6oz from Mack Sails in Florida http://macksails.com/ they were offering a boat show special (-10%) at the Newport International Boat Show last fall at a total cost of ~$6,800. I compared them to Doyle, North Sails, Quantum etc. Mack Sails were very competitive and easy to deal with.

My Genoa is miter cut with foam luff, sunbrella cover, numbers etc. The Main has full battens, adjustable battslide fittings and 2 reefs, tell tales, numbers, insignia etc. In addition I have had them install a Dutchman system on the main. I've come to like my current Main with the Dutchman system and the use of a separate sail cover, however the Dutchman system requires an attached foot on the Main.

The sails were delivered to me last week and appear to be a quality product but I won't be able to tell for sure for another 9 weeks until we re-step the mast and splash the boat. Dealing with Mack sails to date has been a pleasure and it's nice when the owners (Travis and Colin) reach out to you directly.

Good luck.

I have purchased sails from Mack twice. Five years ago I ordered sails a Mack Pack and a Tides Marine strong track from Mack at the Chicago Boat Show for our C&C 30 and was extremely happy with every thing. Their price on the sails was at least $1000 less than I was being quoted by local lofts here in Chicago. Their prices were more in line with quotes I was getting from offshore lofts and I was happy to be keeping the business here in the States.
In May of 2016 we purchased our 1987 E34-2 that was still equipped with the original sails. First order of business was to call Mack and order new main a 150 genoa and a Mack Pack.
Two days after making the order I called Collin Mack and changed the order for the jib from a 150 to a 135. The change was confirmed with an email.
Six weeks later the sails arrive and I discover that the jib is a 150 and the sun cover in on the wrong side. Collin Mack was more than apologetic and told me to send the sail back (at their expense) and that they would build me a completely new sail ASAP.
Two weeks later the sail comes back. The sun cover is still on the wrong side and the sail had been cut down from a 150 to a 135.
Call Colin Mack and am told thats the best they can do.
Going over my credit card statement and discover that they still billed me for the sail at the 150 price. Called Colin again and was given a credit for the difference.
To their credit Mack builds a decent sail and they talk a good game but after my last experience with them I'm done.

Merrimist

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, looking forward to hearing about the new sails after a few miles.

e38 owner

Member III
Recently I was informed that most sails no matter the brand come from the same loft overseas. I understand North has its own loft but that many of the others share.
That being said different companies do have different specs and send over different designs. Thus the quality of your sail comes down to the skill of the measurer and the companies designer and software. I have been happy with Sobstad. I have North Quantum and Sobstad sails Since I have to measure due to boat location I get a little less service. It seams (pun intended) the stitching on the older North Dacron sails has outlasted the stitching on the newer Quantum 135. All three of the above lofts have always treated me well. I bought one sail from a discount loft and although the sail looks ok it is not the same and service was poor. I am curious about the cost and value of Norths new 3dI Dacron. The concept sounds good.

I have a North kevlar gatorback 155. One of the best sails I have ever owned.

That being said I have not bought a North sail since 2002. Mine still look good though. Main spinnaker and 155
Quantum 135 bought in about 2006 looks a little rough.
Asym bought in 2014 great sail from Sobstad and a reasonable Value
Med 155 bought from Planet Sails. Shape ok Construction ok Service not so good

Merrimist

Thank you All for your replies, great info for consideration and very much appreciated.

New set of sails will be the next major purchase, looking now, sail lofts and prices.

Merrimist is in Bermuda, whilst I am working as crew on a privately owned on a 44mtr Dubois, SY Artemis, currently in Grenada, cruising with owner and friends for the Caribbean season. Am saving my dollars to be able to do some upgrades onboard Merrimist. My plan would be to sail her from Bermuda to Newport RI or other East coast destination some time in the next 12 months to fit new sails and a full new electronic kit, radar, AIS, VHF, Chart plotter and sailing instruments. Also on the list is replacing original GalleyMaid alcohol stove and fitting a fridge into the ice box. Strong point on foredeck for spinnaker pole downhaul and check standing rigging. My thought is to keep her and do some cruising, a couple moths each year as time and money permits over the next 5 to 6 years.
All up, I am thinking about upgrades over the next two to three years to get her up to speed sailing and looking fresh again. The more time I have spent on her, the more I like her.

I would like to ask about light spectra lazy jacks, specifically the plan of the lines, the current system onboard Merrimist is very tired and does not work so well, renewal or replacing and these kind of easy to do upgrades I like to do myself, can anyone forward a plan of or pics as I have checked and am not keen on West Marine or other large marine supplier kits, although they seem to be reasonably priced. I am of the opinion and like that lazy jacks will be moved forward to the mast for hoisting and sailing, prevents battens being caught when hoisting single handed, or anytime now I give it a moments thought. Comments and plans welcomed.

Happy sailing.

Hammy, saving pennies, crewing SY Artemis in the Caribbean.