• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

STA-LOK standing rigging

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Part of my current refit will involve replacement of all standing rigging.
Has anyone here replaced part of all of their rigging with Sta-Lok and done it themselves (instead of outsourcing to a progressional rigger)?
The system looks robust, yet easy for DIY. What's not to like about it?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The only one so far is the forestay, under the roller furler. I know the engineers say it’s all good, but I still wince every time I tension up the backstay. So far, it hasn’t come crashing down.

Mechanically, the installation is trivial. (“Is that all?”) The tricky bit may be figuring out how much length the fitting will add to (and subtract from) the stay, so that the overall length comes out as intended. I think I came out a little bit short. Maybe not so critical if you have generous adjustment available at the turnbuckle, but the Furlex eliminates that.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it were me (and it's not, just something to consider), I'd think about resale value. A surveyor may have an unpredictable response to DIY rigging.

Some members have found value in mail-order shrouds, in which the stays are made up elsewhere but installed by us.

The usual recommendation is that all the hardware should be changed--turnbuckles and connectors too, so as to guarantee full integrity.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hayn Hi-Mods

You might look into Hayn Hi-Mod's too. I used them for all the lower terminals (except the headstay) on a re-rig where the chainplates had been replaced and moved outboard and the length of rigging had to be determined when the mast was stepped. Simple to use, and still holding strong 7 years later.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
You might look into Hayn Hi-Mod's too. I used them for all the lower terminals (except the headstay) on a re-rig where the chainplates had been replaced and moved outboard and the length of rigging had to be determined when the mast was stepped. Simple to use, and still holding strong 7 years later.
Thanks! - seems to be a very similar engineering approach to STA-LOK.

JSM

Member III
Norseman Fittings...(your Ericson demands them)

Installed a new furler and headstay on my last boat with Norseman fittings 7 years ago. Still going strong.