• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 5411 Water Pump

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Respected Owners We installed a Universal 5411 Fresh Water Conversion Kit in 1981. It has a Sherwood Pump on it and I would like to replace it this Spring. The pump is mounted on the back of the engine on the power takeoff on the back side of the salt water pump location. Very very difficult to get to but that is what I am stuck with. Does any owner know what pump that is? I can not find a picture on the internet of the rear mount. The 5411 M-12 seems to have been changed to a front mount kit belt driven. I would like to change to a new pump but the dimensions from Oberdorfer do not match up.
I would like to have the pump ready to go in April when we uncover the boat. I'm thinking that I might be stuck replacing the seals shaft and impeller in the existing pump and putting it back in? I would be grateful if any Universal 5411 (vintage) owners can advise how to find the right pump before uncovering the boat. Depco was terrific and was kind enough to offer to send a Oberdorfer pump that I could return if it does not fit
Worst case will be the pump rebuild when I can get to it. Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411.

Last edited:
I removed mine and had it rebuilt by Yacht power in St Petersburg Fl. a Universal dealer. That fresh water pump is not the same as the raw water pump in the engine front. I tried to find an Oberdorfer replacement from a local pump dealer [who has every pump imaginable] but to no avail. So I had them rebuild it. Knock on wood...it's been good. BTW Not maintaining that fresh water pump has probably been the blame for most Universal Eng failures. Those Engines are fantastic [knock on wood] except for that pump because it is soooo difficult to R and R.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
I rebuilt a pump maybe 25 years ago and it installed and tested just fine this Spring. Just started weeping a little bit of oil last week. Maybe a drop every hour. Two real good mechanics said not to worry about it until fall haul. Just keep a eye on it. We are presuming it is a bad seal or the shaft was worn too much to seal. The oil is not under pressure. The Anti Freeze is but the AF seal seems to be fine. The Oil seal is the leaker.
Still looking for a new replacement for the fw pump.

jreddington

Member III
I removed mine and had it rebuilt by Yacht power in St Petersburg Fl. a Universal dealer. That fresh water pump is not the same as the raw water pump in the engine front. I tried to find an Oberdorfer replacement from a local pump dealer [who has every pump imaginable] but to no avail. So I had them rebuild it. Knock on wood...it's been good. BTW Not maintaining that fresh water pump has probably been the blame for most Universal Eng failures. Those Engines are fantastic [knock on wood] except for that pump because it is soooo difficult to R and R.

Do you know the Sherwood model number for that coolant pump?