• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hurth HBW 50 & Things Going "Clunka-Clunka" in the Night...

How willing are you to dive into nasty marina water to solve a problem?

• No Problem - I'll dive anywhere to solve a problem.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • To a Limit - It's got to be pretty serious to get me over the side.

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Life Threatening Only - Some had better be drowning for me to go.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • No Way - Swiming in sewers not an option; that's what I pay the boy for!

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Rau

Can o/ worms

Wow! I didn't expect to open up such a multi-faceted discussion. But I appreciate everyone's insight and research. So, it looks like there is no absolute rule for the question of locked-or-freewheeling. And it appears that we are not the first to broach the topic. It is common to see discussions ad-nauseum in sailing circles and web sites.

Furthermore, it appears the correct process is to go sailing (twist my arm :p ) and run locked, then run freewheeling, and see which way is faster for your rig.

However, I think we all agree:
1. Lock the prop in REVERSE, not forward.
2. The HBW50 can run either locked or free without fear of damage to the transmission.
3. A sailboat is not an airplane...usually. :egrin:

See you all on the water.

-Chris

escapade

Inactive Member
more prop theory

First for Jim; it is just fine to leave your outboard in neutral as the gears & bearings are bathed in oil at all times. No oil circulating pump is used in small outboards.
Second for Chris; remember from science class that air is really a liquid, as is water. Only water, being more dense, multiplys the effects. Please continue this discussion on line as I know what personal experience has shown but really would like more knowledge on the subject
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
You guys are the best!!!

I agree with Chris let's go sailing and try locked and unlocked and see which gives the best speed and report back. Number of blades and diameter of prop, etc. might help us to configure some kind of chart.

I don't know if it is really worth doing all that, unless you are an avid racer (I am not), but going sailing always sounds like a good idea to me:cheers:

Tom Plummer

Member III
Prop Drag

Back in July of 2000 Practical Sailor did a PS advisor on prop drag and concluded "The July 15 PS Advisor had to do with drag. The conclusion was that considerable reduction in drag is available if the prop, in the open, is allowed to free-wheel. If th..."

Bill Sanborn

Member III
I have had the loose zinc problem twice, both times with the same brand of zincs. The problem zincs are Canadian, appear to be larger and have a small copper or brass button in the inside where it can contact the shaft. I have had the best luck with "Sea Shield" Metal Guard". My diver has also seen this problem on other boats.

Re engaging the transmission while sailing, in reverse you are less likely to snag the gearshift lever with the main sheet when you tack.

Ed Balun

Member I
Hi Sean. Apparently you still have your boat. Glad to hear it. My manual states to sail in reverse to prevent unnecessary trans. wear. Had a new trans. installed in my E-32-3 last July. 1800 total. If the trans is slow shifting, check the fluid level. The 50 only holds about 10 oz. If you hear a hi pitched squeal, that is the bearings burning up. Trust me.. I know!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Jim Payton said:
I tried to find a better picture but this is all I could find
WELL I TRIED THREE TIMES TO ATTACH A PICTURE AND IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. I GIVE UP!:boohoo:

Try it now, Jim - you can post one or four images in a single post. Please make sure they're not HUGE though... (like exceeding 800x600).

Thanks,
//sse

Status
Not open for further replies.