• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Finishing under berth

gadangit

Member III
What finishes would you apply under this new berth? I'm planning on grinding down the old hull tabs and painting the hull. Paint on wood? Nothing on the wood? I have yet to ask my curmudgeonly boat shipwright.
IMG_20180124_104544727.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the factory painted such wood flat white on my boat.

In cleaning and repainting I used one-part Interlux Brightside white. It's expensive but very hard and shiny.

For irregular surfaces it highlights imperfections, but on smooth stuff the result is almost like gel coat.

All to taste, I think house paint would be fine.

1-IMG_0311.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All "correct" answers

I smoothed out all of the main bilge and then coated it with plain "white" gel coat. I added some wax so it would cure. Finish was smooth, but no way shiny. If doing it again I would probably go with paint. Perhaps that shiny "Bilgecoat" product. Or something even cheaper.
:confused:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Chris and Lisa,

I've been using exterior oil based enamel for bilge and storage areas. It seems to hold up well.

admirals barge

Member III
painting the bilge

loren

I've used bilge kote in the bilge and other areas under the sole. and its hold up for 12 years now. soap and water and it shines like I just applied it..... I used the primer first but you don't have to....