• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Galley Sink Removal

Tyler Donley

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to get the galley sink out of an Ericson 27 (or similar). The sink is so deep that it needs to be lifted straight up but there isn't enough clearance due to the pitch of the hatch. I've included a photo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

20180121_120114.jpg

sink2.jpg

Attachments

• 20180121_120125.jpg
    20180121_120125.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 24
  • sink1.jpg
    sink1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 22

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Tyler,

Welcome to the forum. As I remember when removing the sink you do have to scrape the back flange of the sink on the companionway lip to get it out. It is possible. Why are you pulling the sink?

Tyler Donley

Hi Tyler,

Welcome to the forum. As I remember when removing the sink you do have to scrape the back flange of the sink on the companionway lip to get it out. It is possible. Why are you pulling the sink?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I'm replacing the counter surface and trying to do a thorough cleaning of the galley while I'm at it. I've tried to muscle the sink out but I can't seem to get it, even scraping up against the companionway as you mentioned. I've taken every other component of the galley out and this is the last part I need to remove.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Extend the sink cutout with a jigsaw? You're replacing the countertop anyhow.

Some of these issues come up because the factory installed furniture before the deck was put on, and radical means becomes necessary.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Tyler,

I would keep at it - I think I remember having to pull it out to a point then push one side down while pulling up on the other side. Try lifting the aft starboard corner first. You might have to get it jammed - partially removed then tap down on the forward port corner and tap up from below on the aft starboard corner. I do remember it being a bit of a bear.

What are you replacing the counter top with?

Tyler Donley

Hi Tyler,

I would keep at it - I think I remember having to pull it out to a point then push one side down while pulling up on the other side. Try lifting the aft starboard corner first. You might have to get it jammed - partially removed then tap down on the forward port corner and tap up from below on the aft starboard corner. I do remember it being a bit of a bear.

What are you replacing the counter top with?

Mark, I took your advice and managed to get the sink out with brute force. Unfortunately damaged the sink a little in the process. No biggie. Thanks so much for your help! As far as replacing the counter I'm not entirely set on anything yet - I wanted to go with something dark. Do you have any suggestions?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sorry to hear about the damage, hope it's not too bad. If you search this site you will find some examples of what people have done over the years with their counter tops. Best to search the site using Google and ericsonyachts.org in the search. I got a little carried away and used Corian. I have an album in the "Community" section of this web site, Lotus Flower E27 Interior Remodel - http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?albumid=267

Gary Holford

Member II
I don't recall having too much trouble with mine when I did it. A heat gun was handy, I remember that much. While I had it out I added some insulation to the side of the icebox, rebuilt the plumbing and painted interior surfaces white.
BTW, beautiful job Mark.

Gary Holford

Member II
Not to take anything away from this incredible resource and home of giants but there is also a E27 Facebook group that compliments this site in it's own way. Best of luck with the renos.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had similar difficulties and worse, when I renewed the countertop the sink would not fit back in. I had a local metal shop zip a quarter inch off the back flange and the problem was permanently solved.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I was hoping Doug (bigd14) would chime in. I thought I remembered Doug modifying his sink to get it back in.

I remember doing something similar to Christian's suggestion - cutting the existing countertop to more easily fit the sink. Pretty sure my approach was to cut the back side of the counter cutout on an angle so I could slide the sink in on an angle.