• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gas type? Cockpit seat, +

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
1982 E-38... what type of gas used for cook stove? CNG OR PROPANE?
When did the camel hump helm seat start? When did the teak overlay on cockpit tops u see wenches stop. Thanks

hodo

Member III
helm seat, fuel

Hello, the helm seat started to be a curved one in 83 I believe. The fuel for the range could be either one CNG, or LPG depending on how the vessel was spec'd out. Most are LPG. Someone here should have a better grasp on the seat change. Good Luck.
Harold & Jessie, Mischief :devil: Maker

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a theory:

The helm seats were redesigned in the early '80s to carry two propane tanks, which are shorter and fatter than cylindrical CNG tanks.

If that's true, you can tell the intended cooking gas by the shape of the tank storage.

But...is it true?:)

Here's 1984--

1-e38 22.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Here's a theory:

The helm seats were redesigned in the early '80s to carry two propane tanks, which are shorter and fatter than cylindrical CNG tanks.

If that's true, you can tell the intended cooking gas by the shape of the tank storage.

But...is it true?:)

Ralph - On my E-34 the boat has, as you know, a molded in propane tank storage, but came with a CNG setup. The deck is a design function, the gas system is an engineering function. Not necessarily related as in my case.

The CNG tank was located in the seat locker over the water tank. The regulators look very different. If the boat had CNG there would be a vent hose probably going to the transom by the diesel tank vent (?).

I didn't understand your question about wenches, but on Xanthus they are portable and have to be brought aboard for each trip as required.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Any way you want it!"

Regarding what is "stock equipment"....
I have seen significant differences in EY boats from the 70's thru the 80's in galley fuel, deck gear, and even model and brand of aux. engine.
EY was always ready to option out a new boat to please any given customer.

Different than the high-production builders that would standardize every little piece of gear, down to a price. But they were selling into a different market, too.

By the 80's, EY was installing quite a choice of ranges.... still some of the older-spec pressure alcohol, propane, CNG, and the Origo alcohol ranges. Great choices for the original purchaser, but sometimes puzzling to subsequent owners several decades later. :rolleyes: