• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e381 Cabin Upgrades - Factory or Previous Owner?

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Hello Folks:

I would like to know if these cabin upgrades are factory or done by a previous owner? I don't recall seeing the shelf above the Nav table or the spice rack cabinet on other e381 pictures. Both are very functional. I am inclined to think they are previous owner upgrades.

Thanks

Neil

Attachments

• 20170910_105654_Film1.jpg
    20170910_105654_Film1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170910_105756_Film1.jpg
    20170910_105756_Film1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170910_105919_Film1.jpg
    20170910_105919_Film1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 49

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Factory customized? Hmmm. I don't think the factory would have left the pull-drawer faces if creating an open locker.

My guess is a skilled woodworker, whether owner or contracted, because it takes tools and some skill to match the Ericson door style. In addition to the nav shelf and modified galley drawers, there is also a surround on the lower vertical grab rail.

Is it a trick of light that suggest different stains in the cabin?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Your boat?

Interesting that you have a 5411 engine in an Ericson 38. The forward galley area, where the 4 drawers are located, is missing the short hanging locker and the shelf it creates. No lazy susan above either. That seems al little off for a 38. Good looking work though.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
[FONT=&quot] "Model 5411 was a 31 cu in, 11 hp 2 cylinder raw water cooled diesel"

Is that your engine? How's it work on a 38-footer?.[/FONT]

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Actually the 4 drawers there and functional, so there is both a spice rack (just deep enough for a bottle of spice) plus the 4 drawers). The difference in satin color is somewhat light but the cabin sole is new a covered in clear
Polyurathane.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That sounds like our 32-horse factory engine. Just Google "Universal 5411" or similar.

A lot of work for a spice rack, but it came out well. Somebody likes to cook on board!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The engine is a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated Universal. Where are you seeing that referenced?

Hi Neil,

Your Signature line at the bottom of each of your posts says you have a 5411 engine. You can correct that in your profile. I just added my engine last night.

Craig

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The door looks factory to me - but I have been studying exactly that detail in Ericson photos without seeing another one quite like it. Drawers waste a lot of space in a cabinet, then when you add the radiused corner, it creates a huge unused space outside of the drawers. I've been penciling out a galley extension project like that. BTW: Those radiused corners can be purchased in poplar plywood, but I haven't seen any in mahogany or teak, off the shelf.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting. I don't have that lazy susan in 1984, or a locker there either. The counter ends just off the picture and the long starboard bunk begins.

1-ERicson 381 ('84) galley.JPG

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Interesting. I don't have that lazy susan in 1984, or a locker there either. The counter ends just off the picture and the long starboard bunk begins.

That looks nice. Mine has a posh wine rack back in the corner next to the pull-down. I found a picture looking back at the galley and stairs. The hanging locker in the left foreground and the wine rack in the aft left corner of the galley are all original as far as I know.

DSCN0057.jpg