• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First sail 2018

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
What a nice change from last year. The boat was frozen into the ice for months! This year, 34F, east wind 8-12. Only a couple of hours but it was nice to let Arcturus stretch his legs. Sucessfully tacked through the bridge both ways without using the motor, though it was a bit in doubt for a minute, going upstream and into the wind. So that was nice. Well darn - I thought I snapped a selfie, but must have fumbled it, with the gloves.

How was yours?

Well rats. Just discovered that I have a great bloody scab on top of my head from stepping up into the half-opened companionway hatch. Again. At least it was numbed from the cold.

...or maybe the repetitive cranial impact.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sorry about the head bump, but yes it is nice to get out this time of year. Had a nice sail myself on new year's eve, with sunny, warm weather for the BC coast and a nice wind of about 12 knots. No crowds, even the wildlife is more settled and approachable than in the busy summer tourist season! :)

Frank

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Funny that you mention the mellow wildlife. I've had a couple of wild turkey chicks living on my porch for the last few months. They apparently decided to live with my peacocks, but rapidly were growing larger than the rest. Didn't take food from my hand but they would perch where they could stare at me through the windows all day (...feeeed us....). Yesterday, the main turkey flock came through the yard and they went away with them. The Call Of The Wild, I suppose.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, it's so interesting to watch nature and wildlife, especially if one is fortunate to live in a beautiful area. Here on the BC coast we have seals, dolphins, whales, eagles, otters, raccoons, and more. We are lucky!!
Frank

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Yeaaa! I didn't even think about it till I saw this post. I was out Jan. second. Nice breeze followed by doldrums followed by an ok breeze to come in on the tide at sunset. I am blessed to have year 'round sailing here on the southern end of Chesapeake Bay.

Attachments

• 2jan18 first sail.jpg
    2jan18 first sail.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 230

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Someone snapped a pic, and was kind enough to send it to me. Actually the second sail - Saturday was 10-15 knots and temperatures in the 40's. Really great! Especially considering that the boat was frozen into the ice last year at this time!
(I am the blue smudge on the other side of the river, not the guy in the foreground.)
Jan 6 18.jpg

Re: The turkeys. Three days later, Heckle and Jeckle showed up for breakfast at their usual time. Now they're back staring through the kitchen window again. I think I heard Heckle mumbling, "Screw The Wild!" I'm not sure how to convince them that they'll never grow long green tails like the other boys.
IMG_1933.jpg

Attachments

• Jan 6 18.jpg
    Jan 6 18.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 170

billie williams

Member II
new year’s day sail

6765AFE8-CA0D-4D10-BDE9-C7954CABD093.jpg
we had a lovely sail on new year’s day. light winds and around 60 degrees. it was grand!
that’s anacapa island in the distance.

Starduff

Member II
Winter Sailing on the north Chesapeake Bay

Yeaaa! I didn't even think about it till I saw this post. I was out Jan. second. Nice breeze followed by doldrums followed by an ok breeze to come in on the tide at sunset. I am blessed to have year 'round sailing here on the southern end of Chesapeake Bay.

You are Blessed Bill! Nice photo.
I am not even in the water yet. How envious am I.

Polonius
E-28

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Someone snapped a pic, and was kind enough to send it to me. Actually the second sail - Saturday was 10-15 knots and temperatures in the 40's. Really great! Especially considering that the boat was frozen into the ice last year at this time!
(I am the blue smudge on the other side of the river, not the guy in the foreground.)
View attachment 23476
That looks like onboard a Holder20 (?) - they're very fun boats - a bit squirrelly in a good breeze. (I managed a 3rd in the H-20 nationals in 2016)