• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Things I learned in 2017

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
-- working on boat plumbing is somehow far more satisfying than working on home plumbing

-- if your shift-cable clamp is going to come loose, it will do it on the one day you have guests on the boat.

-- and, if your battery charger is going to fail, it'll do it the night before the first big trip of the season.

-- no matter what spares you have on the boat, the thing that breaks will be something you never thought of

-- even with all the marvelous technological advances achieved in the last 30 years, box wrenches still don't float

-- there's a sublime, almost mystical sense of accomplishment when an eye-splice comes out smooth and tight.

-- in the Great North Wet, a good mast boot is worth its weight in gold

-- "darning" is a remarkably useful skill to have with 32-year-old cushions

-- there's no such thing as too much storage space. There is, however, such a thing as too much stuff.

-- after more than 50 (!?) years of sailing, I still learn something every time I go out

-- and... this group continues to be the best community on the web. I can't imagine what I'd do without EYO.

What'd you learn last year?

Bruce

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
That's a good list, and pretty realistic for all of us (how many tools have each of us dropped overboard over the years!).

This past year I learned to be even a bit more adventurous in dealing with passes, currents, larger waves - - not that I was a wimp before, but I was able to manage some more challenging conditions without a problem. Always good to be able to draw on that experience, though my wife would prefer that it's not required.

Frank

Last edited: