• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

de-icer needed?

cooper999

Member II
Hi and happy holidays to all-

Here in Baltimore, we're looking at a long cold spell over the next 10 days with highs seldom getting out of the 20s. The harbor seldom freezes, but did a couple of years ago, although I suspect that for the most part the ice thickness wasn't more than a half inch or so (this was prior to our having our Ericson).

We didn't haul this offseason, and so I'm wondering at what point I should get concerned enough to need to invest in a de-icer. Will a relatively thin veneer of ice do harm?

Thanks for your input!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My experience was that ice closing in around a moored boat was no problem.

Ice certainly will lift dock pilings, when it gets a grip and the tide rises and falls. Those submersible pumps work, the ones that lift warmer water from the bottom to maintain an ice-free surface.

cooper999

Member II
My experience was that ice closing in around a moored boat was no problem.

Ice certainly will lift dock pilings, when it gets a grip and the tide rises and falls. Those submersible pumps work, the ones that lift warmer water from the bottom to maintain an ice-free surface.

Thanks as always, Christian-happy new year!

Slick470

Member III
I've left our boat in over a few Chesapeake winters where we have gotten ice. Our boat sits in her slip east/west and typically the south side will be heated enough by the sun that there isn't any ice within a foot or so of the hull and the boat will still float free. I've noticed some bottom paint being rubbed off by ice on the shaded side, but otherwise no damage to the boat by ice. If it seems like the ice is getting over a few inches thick, I'll go out and bust it up some with a shovel to give the boat a bit more room. Running the engine with the prop engaged can mix up water under the boat and thin the ice some as well. You'll have to re-winterize the engine after that though.

My loose understanding with ice is if it gets really thick, it can squeeze the hull and cause issues or hull splitting. Other than that, you want to avoid ice that will move, either through current or wind driven.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Only one or two people in my marina seem to use anti-icing devices. I have not. One year, I lost a bit of paint to 3/4" thick ice. Shoveling snow off the deck tends to pop the boat free of the ice. Of course, it freezes right back in, if the cold snap persists.