• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-25 - Shoal depth fixed keel - Access to keel bolts?

mdenson

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Ericsons with a new-to-me Ericson 25.

My understanding from the previous owner is that the boat is a fixed keel variant. The liner in the cabin doesn't have access hatches to be able to see the keel bolts. Does any one know what is the intended way to access the bolts?

Thanks,
Matthew Denson

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In your 1972 model the ballast was likely internal. Do you have a photo of the lower hull, out of the water?

I just looked at the original brochure on this site. Your model was only delivered with a pivoting CB and also internal lead ballast. There is no other keel option mentioned.

If yours now has a fixed keel, I wonder how and what was done? Or, did someone just pin the centerboard keel in the down position? (Or the lifting cable broke and they decided to ignore it.)

Do you know how much your actual draft is, now?

Attachments

• E-25 specs.jpg
    E-25 specs.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

mdenson

In your 1972 model the ballast was likely internal. Do you have a photo of the lower hull, out of the water?

No photos of the underside. I will be looking to do that soon. I have some outboard engine work to do before I can get it to a lift.

Thanks. I was wondering if that might be the case. The manuals talk a lot about the C/B version and configuration, but not the fixed keel.

Matthew

Luv2TriInFla

E25 Fixed Keel

I would think (I may be wrong) that if the keel was bolted to the hull, bolt tops and nuts would be accessible and visible in the sump below the cabin floor. If no bolts are visible/accessible, then the lead was cast directly within the keel fiberglass. Can anyone with experience comment on this. Unfortunately the owner's manuals with my 1981 E25+ did not indicate how the keel was built.

I am in the process of doing a keel cut and modification to a bulb keel to reduce draft. I am trying to confirm the keel construction (bolt vs cast) before cutting the keel. I'd greatly appreciate any insight others may have.

Dave :egrin:

markvone

Sustaining Member
The E-25 and the E25+ (and the identical hull E-26 with HINs 200 - 299, 1984 - 1986/7) all have internal ballast and no keel bolts. The 300 series E26, 1987 and up, have bolted on keels which allowed the dreaded wing keel option.

Yes, you can see the bolt tops and nuts in the bilge on the bolt-on keels.

I would not be cutting on any internal ballast keel.

Mark