• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Quarter berth cushion

Merchey

My 27 didn't come with a quarter berth cushion but did have a nice cover for one that matches my other upholstery. I would like to have a new cushion made in the Seattle area. I think I will want to use this quarter berth to sleep on as the V berth is a bit short for me. What considerations should I think about in terms of sleeping comfort? Im guessing the cover I have is a similar depth to the settee cushions. Any recommendations or vendors in the Seattle area?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You could take the cover to any bedding/foam shop and they'd be glad to cut the foam for you, and show you firmness options.

For my 4" cockpit cushions, I bought a single-bed foam piece and cut both cushions out of it with a serrated knife.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Reiterating something that I have nattered on about, previously...
Be sure to get a firm enough "foam weight" (i.e. density) that will last. We had our cushions re-foamed in 1995 with 2.6 density. They still sit and sleep without us bottoming out against the berth tops.

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well of course I can't find the density numbers anywhere.....but I recall reading that there is a difference between the foam density that is required for a seat cushion and one for sleeping. That is, a cushion that is soft enough for sleeping will probably allow you to bottom out, while one firm enough to prevent bottoming out will be uncomfortably firm for sleeping. If a cushion such as a quarter berth is only used for sleeping, then it is a simple matter to specify a foam firmness optimized for sleeping. The problem of course if cabin or settee cushions that are expected to do double duty, where you pretty much have to go firm enough to prevent bottoming out, and just put up with the firmness while sleeping.

Teranodon

Member III
The Marysville Mattress Factory made some forepeak cushions for me, and I am satisfied with their work. They make everything right there, and are very knowledgeable about foams of all types. Friendly, too.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here are some numbers from E38 Owner:

As a point of reference foam has 2 measurements. The density and the firmness. A good foam cushion can have a density from 1.8 to about 3.2. Lower quality upholstery will use a 1.5 foam in the cushion. Back foam 1.2 is ok In general a more dense foam has more chemical and less air. It will provide better and longer support before the air pockets break down and collapse. Foam also has a firmness rating. A seat cushion will be in the range of 27-32 lbs very soft foam could be around 14 lbs etc. In addition with use foam will lose about 15-20% of the initial firmness with time.

I found that some expensive foam is just too rock-hard for sleeping:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...on-38-Drilling-Foam-Teak-Repair-Binocular-Box

Last edited: