• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Glow plug test

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 12mm deep-socket wrench I picked up on the way to the boat proved pretty useless, since it will only fit over one of the plugs. But a 12mm spanner works fine when held at the correct angle. I don't know what the appropriate torque is for these plugs--after spraying with PB Blaster mine seemed to be little more than hand-tight. [Answer: 7-11 foot pounds, or 1-1.5 M Kgs]

The central plug is the hardest to get the wrench on, and the throw is only an eighth-turn. The nut impacts the manifold unless you screw it down. These "nuts" are obviously not intended to be tightened hard, since they're round, with a knurled edge like a coin. They come with a non-locking aluminum contact washer, and bear a tangent slot I'm unfamiliar with.

The glow plugs are energized by a gray wire with blue trace from the engine harness. There are aluminum jumpers between the plugs, each wrapped in insulating fiber. My connections were well varnished by time, so I polished them up with sandpaper before installing the new plugs.

They go in as they came out. Because of insufficient clearance, the nut won't fit on the central plug once it's installed. You have to bend the threaded shaft a little with a screw driver to get the nut on.

For that plug only, it would probably be easier to put on the jumpers and washers and nut before inserting the glow plug.