• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-3 keel options

Captain C

I’m looking at two E32-3 sailboats. One has regular fin keel and the other is wing. I always said I would’t buy a boat with a draft over 5’5 because of obvious limitations. I sail on the Great Lakes (draft usually not a problem but limited at some marinas while cruising, especially in the fall) but also plan ICW and Caribbean down the road.

The problem is I fell in love with the E32-3, partially after coming across this website and seeing the passion of the folks on here.

The fin keel is closer, in better shape, and hence more expensive. One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. I’ve seen it listed as 6’, 6’1”, and 6’2”... I realize it’s just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.

another question for any E32-3 winged keel skippers out there is how does it perform. I realize something will be lost, but are there any other complaints? Maneuverability in tight marinas? Etc.

We don’t see a lot of Ericsons on the Great Lakes and I guess I’m just looking for thoughts on each design so I can make as informed a decision as possible.

many thanks,

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. I’ve seen it listed as 6’, 6’1”, and 6’2”... I realize it’s just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.
I didn't think to measure mine when I had her hauled, but... the Ericson brochure says it is 6'-2"

ericson.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having a boat with a listed draft of 6', and having friends with boats that have a brochure spec near mine, a couple inches either way, we all hit the mud at about the same rate.
:rolleyes:

While there is a noticeable difference in navigating for boats drawing 5'6" or 6'7", in the real world a similar group of boats like ours are difficult to measure in usage or perceived inconvenience.
Just last summer I was aground for about 20 minutes in a small port on the lower Columbia, on a minus tide. I floated off with no ill effects.

Since most decent-sailing boats in the 32 to 36 foot range draw around 6 feet, more marinas are dredged to about that depth or a bit more. Matter of fact we annually dredge our little yacht club marina to between minus 6 and minus 7, at a zero tide stage. Once in a while in late fall some of us might sit on sand for an hour, but no one has ever been harmed by it.

Good luck on your search.
:egrin:

Loren

oldfauser

Member III
handling with a shoal draft keel

The 32-3 that i sail on has the 4'4" shoal draft non-wing keel. I handles fine; will turn 360 degrees in it's own length. It also finds the mud... only a little closer to shore.... :)

Captain C

Thanks for replies. The best approach is probably to go with whichever boat "you" like the best, regardless of keel.

Would still love to hear from someone who actually has the winged keel version...just to get a primary source opinion.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Always get the deepest keel that is practical for your sailing grounds.

There are many areas where water depth changes as result of moon or wind or tide, and a shallow draft can mean difference between sailing and having to send the guests home. A shallow draft may mean a much cheaper slip. It may open up vast cruising grounds. It may much reduce groundings, and therefore family anxiety (my children hated the words "kedge off"). In some areas, resale value depends on having the appropriate keel.

However, the deeper the keel the better the boat sails. Incontrovertible fact.

But--better than what? Not better than being stuck in the mud while the other guy sails past.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Keel

Captain C,

I like what Christen says about your sailing environment. Here on Chesapeake bay with shallow muddy bottoms, Discovery can go most anywhere with her 4' keel and after 4 years has yet to run aground (fingers crossed).

Up in NY, depending on your sailing environment you might encounter granite ledges or mud.

MJS

I’m looking at two E32-3 sailboats. One has regular fin keel and the other is wing. I always said I would’t buy a boat with a draft over 5’5 because of obvious limitations. I sail on the Great Lakes (draft usually not a problem but limited at some marinas while cruising, especially in the fall) but also plan ICW and Caribbean down the road.

The problem is I fell in love with the E32-3, partially after coming across this website and seeing the passion of the folks on here.

The fin keel is closer, in better shape, and hence more expensive. One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. I’ve seen it listed as 6’, 6’1”, and 6’2”... I realize it’s just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.

another question for any E32-3 winged keel skippers out there is how does it perform. I realize something will be lost, but are there any other complaints? Maneuverability in tight marinas? Etc.

We don’t see a lot of Ericsons on the Great Lakes and I guess I’m just looking for thoughts on each design so I can make as informed a decision as possible.

many thanks,

Filkee

Sustaining Member
6’2 is just fine

On the nearly Great Lake Champlain we do fine with the deeper keel. Sometimes we cut salad off the bottom but we point higher than our friends.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner

RHenegar

Member I
My E32-III has a 4' 4" draft. I do some around the buoy racing and some offshore racing and I am convinced that the boat doesn't point all that well. I believe that the deeper keel would perform noticeably better. On a good day my boat will tack through about 115 degrees COG. When the wind is up and seas are rough that number will be closer 120 degrees. The trade off is in the shallow waters in Texas I don't worry to much about grounding the boat. If I do, I just get out and push :)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Einstein loved sailing. AT the height of his fame a banker gave him a custom pocket cruiser, which he named Tummler. Fans of Mel Brooks will recall that's what he calls himself--a joker, a maker of noise (mit umlaut).

But when it came to depth the great scientist was out of his depth.

On Lake Carnegie at Princeton, where he wound up after the Nazis confiscated his boat, he sailed a Tech Dinghy. It was a class for collegiate racing, named after its origin at MIT.

But Einstein kept running aground on the mud. Lake Carnegie ain't much of a lake, but it does serve for dinghy racing and crew, or at least it used to.

Then one day Einstein took somebody else out in the dinghy, which didn't seem to perform very well, and Einstein didn;t know why. He never said he was a great sailor, and often made fun of his skills.

Indeed, his companion was concerned, and when they landed he pulled the boat out of the water to see what was wrong.

Einstein had sawn the centerboard in half to prevent groundings.

True story.