Thread: E32-3 keel options

E32-3 keel options

Im looking at two E32-3 sailboats. One has regular fin keel and the other is wing. I always said I wouldt buy a boat with a draft over 55 because of obvious limitations. I sail on the Great Lakes (draft usually not a problem but limited at some marinas while cruising, especially in the fall) but also plan ICW and Caribbean down the road.

The problem is I fell in love with the E32-3, partially after coming across this website and seeing the passion of the folks on here.

The fin keel is closer, in better shape, and hence more expensive. One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. Ive seen it listed as 6, 61, and 62... I realize its just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.

another question for any E32-3 winged keel skippers out there is how does it perform. I realize something will be lost, but are there any other complaints? Maneuverability in tight marinas? Etc.

We dont see a lot of Ericsons on the Great Lakes and I guess Im just looking for thoughts on each design so I can make as informed a decision as possible.

many thanks,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain C View Post
    One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. Ive seen it listed as 6, 61, and 62... I realize its just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.
    I didn't think to measure mine when I had her hauled, but... the Ericson brochure says it is 6'-2"

Name:  ericson.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  42.5 KB
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Having a boat with a listed draft of 6', and having friends with boats that have a brochure spec near mine, a couple inches either way, we all hit the mud at about the same rate.

While there is a noticeable difference in navigating for boats drawing 5'6" or 6'7", in the real world a similar group of boats like ours are difficult to measure in usage or perceived inconvenience.
    Just last summer I was aground for about 20 minutes in a small port on the lower Columbia, on a minus tide. I floated off with no ill effects.

Since most decent-sailing boats in the 32 to 36 foot range draw around 6 feet, more marinas are dredged to about that depth or a bit more. Matter of fact we annually dredge our little yacht club marina to between minus 6 and minus 7, at a zero tide stage. Once in a while in late fall some of us might sit on sand for an hour, but no one has ever been harmed by it.

Good luck on your search.

Loren
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Universal M25XP
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Member II

handling with a shoal draft keel

The 32-3 that i sail on has the 4'4" shoal draft non-wing keel. I handles fine; will turn 360 degrees in it's own length. It also finds the mud... only a little closer to shore....
    Art
    Crew
    E32-3 "Aces Dream"

Thanks for replies. The best approach is probably to go with whichever boat "you" like the best, regardless of keel.

Would still love to hear from someone who actually has the winged keel version...just to get a primary source opinion.

Sustaining Partner GrandpaSteve's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    I didn't think to measure mine when I had her hauled, but... the Ericson brochure says it is 6'-2"

Name:  ericson.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  42.5 KB
    Interesting that the brochure lists a centerboard option - I don't think that ever made it to production.
    1987 E32-III "Glory Days"
    Hull #711
    Slip in Rock Hall MD.
    Home in Downingtown PA.

Blog Entries
    Always get the deepest keel that is practical for your sailing grounds.

There are many areas where water depth changes as result of moon or wind or tide, and a shallow draft can mean difference between sailing and having to send the guests home. A shallow draft may mean a much cheaper slip. It may open up vast cruising grounds. It may much reduce groundings, and therefore family anxiety (my children hated the words "kedge off"). In some areas, resale value depends on having the appropriate keel.

However, the deeper the keel the better the boat sails. Incontrovertible fact.

But--better than what? Not better than being stuck in the mud while the other guy sails past.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    "Alone Together--the Book" trailer here

Contributing Partner
    Blog Entries

Keel

Captain C,

I like what Christen says about your sailing environment. Here on Chesapeake bay with shallow muddy bottoms, Discovery can go most anywhere with her 4' keel and after 4 years has yet to run aground (fingers crossed).

Up in NY, depending on your sailing environment you might encounter granite ledges or mud.

MJS

Quote Originally Posted by Captain C View Post
    Im looking at two E32-3 sailboats. One has regular fin keel and the other is wing. I always said I wouldt buy a boat with a draft over 55 because of obvious limitations. I sail on the Great Lakes (draft usually not a problem but limited at some marinas while cruising, especially in the fall) but also plan ICW and Caribbean down the road.

The problem is I fell in love with the E32-3, partially after coming across this website and seeing the passion of the folks on here.

The fin keel is closer, in better shape, and hence more expensive. One question is what is the actual draft on this boat. Ive seen it listed as 6, 61, and 62... I realize its just a couple inches, but curious what Ericson actually listed it as.

another question for any E32-3 winged keel skippers out there is how does it perform. I realize something will be lost, but are there any other complaints? Maneuverability in tight marinas? Etc.

We dont see a lot of Ericsons on the Great Lakes and I guess Im just looking for thoughts on each design so I can make as informed a decision as possible.

many thanks,

Contributing Member II

62 is just fine

On the nearly Great Lake Champlain we do fine with the deeper keel. Sometimes we cut salad off the bottom but we point higher than our friends.
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA

Quote Originally Posted by Filkee View Post
    On the nearly Great Lake Champlain we do fine with the deeper keel. Sometimes we cut salad off the bottom but we point higher than our friends.
    What do you mean "nearly Great Lake Champlain"? Back in March 1998 it was a great lake... for three weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/07/us...reat-lake.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/25/us...is-ousted.html
    Tom Metzger
    E-34 Xanthus

Contributing Member II
    I lived in LA at the time but I always like to acknowledge the brush with greatness.
    1985 E32-3
    Universal M25
    Aylwin
    Lake Champlain, VT USA