Wanted: 2/3 burner stove with oven

RickEYO

I recently purchased a 30+ and would like to replace my non-working stove/oven with an alcohol stove/oven or perhaps propane. If you or someone you know has one, I would appreciate it if you would put us in touch.

Happy sailing,

Rick
Ericson 30+
rick099tka@gmail.com

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
stove/oven replacement

Hi Rick,

Discovery is a 1983 30+ Ericson and she did not come with a stove/oven. Although not ready to replace yet, I also am interested in options.

There are a number of opinions on this subject posted. I'll be listening.

MJS

I recently purchased a 30+ and would like to replace my non-working stove/oven with an alcohol stove/oven or perhaps propane. If you or someone you know has one, I would appreciate it if you would put us in touch.

Happy sailing,

Rick
Ericson 30+
rick099tka@gmail.com

woolamaloo

Member III
My 30+ also came with a non-working alcohol stove/oven. After using a Coleman stove with 1# cans of propane onboard for a couple years, I pulled out the unit. (I was never comfortable with the cans of propane onboard.) A friend who is also a carpenter had his shop build a custom cabinet to hold a gimbaled cooktop. He made the cabinet face with some mahogany he had on hand. After I oiled it, it looked very similar to the teak. Instead of the stove, there’s a cabinet under the cooktop. (Much needed in the storage starved 30+.) Luckily, my boat already had a propane locker under the starboard helm seat. I installed a 10# aluminum propane tank there with a remote solenoid so I can turn off the propane without going outside on a cold morning. The only thing missing is fiddles on the hinged top. This upgrade was almost as good as adding refrigeration to the ice box. Here some pictures from the installation.

stove_1.jpgstove_2.jpgstove_3.jpg

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jim,

Beautiful! Your friend did a good job matching the cabinet door edge detail. Nice addition of storage space.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree that a gimballed stove doesn't get much use, except as pot storage that might be better handled by a cabinet.

I hope the gimballed burners have enough mass. If not you could add lead.

fool

Member III
I agree that a gimballed stove doesn't get much use, except as pot storage that might be better handled by a cabinet.

I think sometime you should come to dinner on September Sun, at least when at anchor. A full belly of oven baked pasta with sausage and cheese will warm your heart and the cabin too. Bring a pillow, if we open a bottle you won't make it out the companionway before sweet dreams carry you away...

...rocked by the cradle of the deep.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No wrong answers to the question, really.
We have liked having a gimbaled range for over 20 years. It's an Origo 6000, two burners plus an oven. Since there are individual burners with no (zero) pressure, it's as safe as anything can be that gets hot enough to cook stuff.

While the gimbaling action is secured for most of our boating, it was great to have it working when off shore, when the stove top is the only level place to set anything down.
Well, that and our two deep galley sinks. :)

Note that the Origo does not use any external tank or hoses.

We really like having chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven ..... and of course fresh baked cinnamon roles on a chilly morning.

Last edited:

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Cabinet

Jim,

Discovery is also an 30+ that was purchased without a stove. I have also been using a Coleman stove and have been thinking of a redesign for the empty space.
Your friend came up with a really nice solution, do you think he would share the design specifications?

MJS

My 30+ also came with a non-working alcohol stove/oven. After using a Coleman stove with 1# cans of propane onboard for a couple years, I pulled out the unit. (I was never comfortable with the cans of propane onboard.) A friend who is also a carpenter had his shop build a custom cabinet to hold a gimbaled cooktop. He made the cabinet face with some mahogany he had on hand. After I oiled it, it looked very similar to the teak. Instead of the stove, there’s a cabinet under the cooktop. (Much needed in the storage starved 30+.) Luckily, my boat already had a propane locker under the starboard helm seat. I installed a 10# aluminum propane tank there with a remote solenoid so I can turn off the propane without going outside on a cold morning. The only thing missing is fiddles on the hinged top. This upgrade was almost as good as adding refrigeration to the ice box. Here some pictures from the installation.

View attachment 23294View attachment 23295View attachment 23296

woolamaloo

Member III

I hope the gimballed burners have enough mass. If not you could add lead.

Naturally, I used the old oven for pot storage. The new cabinet holds the pots, as well as all my cleaning supplies, and some bulky stuff like bread and chips. It probably has four to five times the storage space the oven had. Of course, the cabinet will never bake a loaf of bread. It was a good trade.

The burners have enough mass to rock - particularly when there's a pot on it. I've only removed the pin to let the gimball swing once to cook and that was at the dock in a gale. It worked great.

woolamaloo

Member III
Jim,

Discovery is also an 30+ that was purchased without a stove. I have also been using a Coleman stove and have been thinking of a redesign for the empty space.
Your friend came up with a really nice solution, do you think he would share the design specifications?

MJS

Mark,

My carpenter buddy, Patrick, came to the boat and made some sketches and took some pictures and oversaw one of his employees making the cabinet. I gave him a cabinet door to take with him to match. But, I don’t know if there were any drawings beyond his initial sketches. It’s essentially 3 pieces. The shelf that holds the stove, the front with the drop down top and the cabinet doors, and the piano hinged top. The guy who actually made the cabinet installed each of the three pieces individually on site.

Patrick’s company specializes is custom work. He came up with several ideas that I would have never thought of. The drop-down front is a perfect place to hold spices or utensils when I’m cooking. When it’s closed it’s held in place by the overhang of the top. And, they made sure it would clear the bar in the galley so I wouldn’t lose that support. The hinged top solved the problem of stowing the top when I’m cooking. They spent a lot of time planning for the swing of the stove – making sure neither it, nor the pots on it would contact the cabinet edges. The cabinet doors don’t have latches but they used hinges with heavy springs. I’ve never had a pot come out of the cabinet on its own – even fully heeled to starboard. Even after a few years, I’m amazed at what a great job they did.

Of course, you want to know the price. And I don’t know. He needs some computer work done and we did it as a barter. Unfortunately, I haven’t got all the information I need from him to fulfill my part of the bargain. I’m prepared to write him a big check if he changes his mind. It’s such a great addition to my boat.

Next time to the boat (winter projects) I can take some more detailed pictures for you.