• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

looking at E-38 in Mexico

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Christian, Loren, and all my good friends on this site.

As you may know our Sea Scout Boat 'No Bad Days" E-34 "88 was destroyed (no insurance here) by Nate and the Pacific storm that hit San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua last month. This has been very sad for a lot of our youth and our little town.

Good wife Renda has says try and find something else to replace her. Even at 79 the need to teach and work with these young folks, giving back to them the joy of our sport is still upmost in my retirement years. This has been the MOST rewarding years of my life.

Looking at the E-38 for sale listed here, laying in upper Mexico.
Would like you to take time to review pictures and and let me know what you think. It has been on the hard for 5 years. Big investment right after a Big loss. Then a long sail down... could be fun.

Please respond by email, nicaralph@gmail.com or on this site. face book Ralph Hewitt

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This one?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ericson-38-3111925/Guaymas,-Sonora/Mexico#.WhNBm0pKtPY

The equipment list looks pretty complete, and there's a windlass. Whether anything actually works....

The interior looks good, if all the photos are fairly current. The exterior, well, you know how that goes.

Sails, running rigging, standing rigging, engine....boats that don't get used tend to wear down.

Awfully sorry about the loss of the boat. I guess a 38 isn't much bigger than a 34, but both are big in terms of being brought back to life, if that's necessary. Or maybe my back just hurts today.

Now if I were a kid in Nicaragua, what would make my eye light up is a fleet of dinghies. You learn stuff fast, you can race against each other, you can pick them up and carry them. You can show off. But of course, I am just a kid in California.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
our open harbor to the sea does not lend it's self to dinghies.

Thanks Christian,

My wife Renda loves your "Bow dance with Bucket".

In watching all your u-tubes it has given me more to look for or ask about on this boat.

With swells and surf and off shore winds small boats do not do well here... wish they did.
Part of the program is to take folks day sailing as a sailing tour, the interaction of the crew with foreigners is a great experience and gives them a chance to practice their language skills. This helps off set some of the expense off what we do for our youth work.
Gives a lot of Joy to guest and others too.

Anything more specific you can think off would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ralph

This one?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ericson-38-3111925/Guaymas,-Sonora/Mexico#.WhNBm0pKtPY

The equipment list looks pretty complete, and there's a windlass. Whether anything actually works....

The interior looks good, if all the photos are fairly current. The exterior, well, you know how that goes.

Sails, running rigging, standing rigging, engine....boats that don't get used tend to wear down.

Awfully sorry about the loss of the boat. I guess a 38 isn't much bigger than a 34, but both are big in terms of being brought back to life, if that's necessary. Or maybe my back just hurts today.

Now if I were a kid in Nicaragua, what would make my eye light up is a fleet of dinghies. You learn stuff fast, you can race against each other, you can pick them up and carry them. You can show off. But of course, I am just a kid in California.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ralph,

I see. Well, small boats don't do well in my part of the coast either. No shallow bays, no gunk holes to wander to.

You've probably run your eye over my blog already: it amounts to a list of age-related issues common to Ericsons, and would give hints what to look for.

Keep us all posted.

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Ralph,

I see. Well, small boats don't do well in my part of the coast either. No shallow bays, no gunk holes to wander to.

You've probably run your eye over my blog already: it amounts to a list of age-related issues common to Ericsons, and would give hints what to look for.

Keep us all posted.

Thanks Christian,
Your advice is always welcome (from the master).

Surprised no other owners have any input.

Would have to get her ready for 2000+ mile cruise, will not get new wiskerpole.

Replacement parts of All kinds are so hard to get here... would like to even stock
Anticipated parts & replacement and bring down on boat.

Any one know a owner with boat in the Guaymas, Sonora, Mex area?

Thanks to all,

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Look for evidence of water under the v-berth. It looks like the bottom drawer and the bottom of the opening are showing some water damage. This is just a caution, not a deal killer. There are many ways for water to get in from the bow area.

I'm amazed at the beautiful condition of the veneer around all the side ports. Looks like it never has been in a climate where condensation is a problem, or someone has done a great job of keeping the ports from leaking.

Interior looks original and very nice. Do the zippers open up in the headliner? I'd look in above the headliner for sure, for evidence of water leaks.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Thanks

Look for evidence of water under the v-berth. It looks like the bottom drawer and the bottom of the opening are showing some water damage. This is just a caution, not a deal killer. There are many ways for water to get in from the bow area.

I'm amazed at the beautiful condition of the veneer around all the side ports. Looks like it never has been in a climate where condensation is a problem, or someone has done a great job of keeping the ports from leaking.

Interior looks original and very nice. Do the zippers open up in the headliner? I'd look in above the headliner for sure, for evidence of water leaks.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

She does look nice, note the rust or water at the rudder post to hull exit.any input?

Do you have the same engine? How goes it. How about the two bladed prop?
Hood furling? Owned 20+ years and not many upgrades, what do you think, will she sail over 2000 miles down to Nicaragua as is?

On the hard 5 years... price???

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
She does look nice, note the rust or water at the rudder post to hull exit.any input?

Do you have the same engine? How goes it. How about the two bladed prop?
Hood furling? Owned 20+ years and not many upgrades, what do you think, will she sail over 2000 miles down to Nicaragua as is?

On the hard 5 years... price???

I took a good look at the pictures.

Rust on the rudder - it may mean there is water in the rudder, or just 5 years of drips and rainwater going by, very hard to say. Where the stock goes into the rudder there could be a little corrosion. Stainless steel and tight spaces will eventually corrode. Pictures aren't going to tell you that.

The listing says the engine is an M-40, but it is probably a 5432 based on my experience and comparing it to my 5432 pictures. It has the 3-mounts and the M-40 usually has 4 mounts. Looks identical to mine when I bought it. Basically the same engine as the M-40 though. The 1880 hours wouldn't be a concern as long as it isn't frozen. Good engine as far as I am concerned. Lots of life left if well cared for. My engine has almost 2000 hours and is going strong.

I only have experience on the E38 with a three-blade feathering prop, so someone else will have to chime in. I would bet it has a little less acceleration going in reverse.

I'm not qualified to comment on a sail down to Nicaragua as-is. The hull and rig are plenty capable. The running and standing rigging would need to be inspected. Reportedly the stainless rigging will age faster when the boat is on the hard with the mast up. I have an old Shaefer furler that works fine. No experience with the Hood.

How long can you take to shake it down and work out any problems? Will the current owner be able to help get you familiar with it?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Thanks

I took a good look at the pictures.

Rust on the rudder - it may mean there is water in the rudder, or just 5 years of drips and rainwater going by, very hard to say. Where the stock goes into the rudder there could be a little corrosion. Stainless steel and tight spaces will eventually corrode. Pictures aren't going to tell you that.

The listing says the engine is an M-40, but it is probably a 5432 based on my experience and comparing it to my 5432 pictures. It has the 3-mounts and the M-40 usually has 4 mounts. Looks identical to mine when I bought it. Basically the same engine as the M-40 though. The 1880 hours wouldn't be a concern as long as it isn't frozen. Good engine as far as I am concerned. Lots of life left if well cared for. My engine has almost 2000 hours and is going strong.

I only have experience on the E38 with a three-blade feathering prop, so someone else will have to chime in. I would bet it has a little less acceleration going in reverse.

I'm not qualified to comment on a sail down to Nicaragua as-is. The hull and rig are plenty capable. The running and standing rigging would need to be inspected. Reportedly the stainless rigging will age faster when the boat is on the hard with the mast up. I have an old Shaefer furler that works fine. No experience with the Hood.

How long can you take to shake it down and work out any problems? Will the current owner be able to help get you familiar with it?

Your input was great... sailed the NW out of lake Union in the '60's enjoyed it. Sure like warm weather better.

Where do you feel I should start with $$$ on this boat? Email nicaralph@gmail.com

Thanks,