• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Opening Port Source

enkramer

Although I'd like to eventually replace all the fixed ports on my 1979 E35-2 with opening ports, I'm starting with the port in the head to get some ventilation in that space. Thus far, I haven't been able to locate any after-market ports with the same dimensions. If anyone's been down this road and could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Evan,

I replaced four original opening Gioit ports with new Lewmars. One thing to consider, which was critical for the E36RH, is to find a replacement port where the cutout is larger than your current hole (so you can just expand it as Christian stated) AND the port's exterior vertical dimension fits on the available cabinside space. The E36RH has a very short cabinside and the Lewmars barely fit the outside vertical dimension in the forward locations. Certain ports, the well regarded New Found Metals ports for example, have a very small cutout and a relatively large exterior vertical dimension. These would have required me to fill the existing cutout in the smaller sizes and were too tall to fit the cabinside in the larger sizes with a cutout larger than my existing hole.

The Lewmars have a relatively large cutout for their size which makes them ideal for replacing existing ports where you have to deal with an existing cutout. Another nice feature of the Lewmars is that they are available in stainless steel as well as aluminum. I got the Lewmar size 1 with grey lens in stainless from Fisheries Supply for $222.68 each back in April, 2016.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/lewmar-stainless-steel-portlights

Mark

Last edited:

ChrisS

Member III
Evan:

I replaced two of the smaller ports with Lewmar Size 1, clear lenses. Enlarged the openings with a jigsaw, but otherwise an easy job.

Defender had the best price, and they were able to get the clear glass much faster than other online retailers.

Sailsbad

32-2 ports

So im understanding that you cant get any replacement lenses for the old ports ? You have to replace the whole port?? if so that sucks. They don't make the same ports anymore????

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I got replacement lenses for my seven old Lewmars at Catalina Direct. They had both the standard lenses and slightly thicker ones. I went with the thicker ones to put a little more pressure on the seals.

kapnkd

kapnkd
So im understanding that you cant get any replacement lenses for the old ports ? You have to replace the whole port?? if so that sucks. They don't make the same ports anymore????

There is a ‘78 E32 II about to be destroyed and it still has all of the original ports including the sliding head port that are still in good shape. The contact info was posted about a week plus ago from a marina South of Detroit and just North of Toledo. ...Worth the time to check it out.

(The ports are indeed the same size as on your E-35.)

markvone

Sustaining Member

Sailsbad,

Tell us who made your ports, or post a picture and we'll help you. I'd venture that ALL opening ports and most fixed ports can have replacement lens made/bought. The fixed ports will probably be more work and may involve dealing with gaskets between the lens and frame. Most opening ports are sealed in the frame with a caulk or just bolted to the hardware.

As an example, I had replacement lens made for four small opening Gioit ports at a local Marine Plastics shop for $100 total. Rig Rite sells the lens (custom order) for ~ $100 each. I could have made the four lens myself from a piece of cast acrylic from Ebay for probably $30 total. You can cut thinner acrylic with a fine (22t) jig saw blade and sand it to shape and smooth on the edges like wood. For 1/2 inch thick acrylic I use a fine carbide blade in a circular saw.

Mark

kapnkd

kapnkd

Far from it, you indeed have options.

The older original ports aren’t in production but they do come apart and new glass can be cut (don’t recommend doing that yourself). This is what we did with ALL our smaller ports at a local glass company. Luckily the larger ones glass was still good.

While the frames were apart, we replaced the dried out rubber/vinyl seals. Putting the aluminum frames back together took some patience with the larger ports. There should still be a thread showing the jig I made to help compress the frames together due to the acute angles.

It’s a project that isn’t easy to do but it IS doable.

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
There is a Canadian company called Bomon (not Bomar) that manufactures ports to copy the original. I had them do the opening head port years ago.

Paul
E29 "Bear"