• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

winter cover pattern

RKlemm

New to the site. Have a 1985 E32-2 we bought last Aug. Trying to be a good husband and help out with the sewing of canvas...:) I burnt up my wives Singer.:mad:.mmmyeah..not good. It's now fixed and since then I've purchased a Sailrite heavy duty sewing machine. I've fixed a few odds and ends but want to really get my use out of this machine. I want to create a winter cover. Shrink wrap is ok, but I don't like the plastic aftermath in the spring. Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a pattern that I can either buy or look at. There are a few local E's that I can look at but a pattern would be a lot easier. I really want this year to be my last year to shrink wrap my boat.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

Ron

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Everything I know about patterning odd shapes comes from this video:

http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Personal-Watercraft-Cover-Video

I have tried shortcuts, but in the end I came to believe that using Dura-skim, or whatever it's called ( that is, a specialized patterning plastic sheet), is worth it, and that following all the steps is necessary for a satisfying job.

I gotta also say that the large panels required for a boat cover would overstress my workspace. Big stuff just gets unwieldy in a home/garage environment. But maybe you have a big space to work in.

Sailrite.com--you already know how valuable it is. My series of articles and videos on sewing is listed in the blog in the signature line below.

KWay

Member II
Templete for a Winter Cover

Ron; When we made our winter cover we had the boat shrink wrapped and used the plastic as a template. I built the frame out of 1 1/2inch sch80 PVC pipe then had the marina cover the boat for the winter. In the spring we carefully marked all issue noted from the shrink wrap job, then we carefully cut the wrap along the ridge line. Then we laid it out on the driveway and seamed it back together. We then marked the wrap up to the width of the fabric and Zippers locations.
Cover is still going strong six years later.
Check www.rochfordsupply.com for good deals on seconds and zippers P1000980.jpg

e38 owner

Member III
cover

I just replaced winter cover first one lasted since 2000
Here our my thoughts. Keep the boat in utah at 6000 feet altititude. It gets lots of snow. lighter than the east cost though

1.Only used a frame for your 1. year after that I just pull the stantions
2. Made cover from 18 oz vinyl. It can be bought for not to much. Will need a 50 yard roll
3. Vinyl can be glued and it will hold. Only need to sew the tie down straps
4. I to used shrink wrap for a few yeats before the vinyl helped with measuring
5. To measure put up the boom and spinnaker pole and any other supports
6. Start at the bow and measure the width across everything about every 5 feet moving back
7. Add extra to come down the sides
8. make an initial fitting cut around shrouds and mast
9. I use webbing and zip ties to seal shrouds
10 I try to avoid zipper velcro etc
11 Second fitting bow and stern
12 Can tie down sides and cut and glue for tightness
13. The more time you spend the better it will look
14. Build tie gussets for mast holes etc
15 I built mine in two parts that overlap and tie together near the mast.
16 Overlap should be over 2 feet

McGinnis

Member II
Professionally, we drape pattern such things. Sailrite does an excellent at job ofexcellent demonstrating this.

Not to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in knowing what other Ericson specific canavs items are in need.