• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

MDR Boat Slips

SkipperC

Member II
Blogs Author
Hi SoCal Ericson sailors,

I'm in the process of buying an Ericson 32-3, and if all goes well in the survey (or as well as can be expected for a 30yr old boat) I'm going to need a slip for her to call home. I've been calling around, and prices obviously vary on amenities... But, I'm curious if anyone in MDR has any recommendations, areas to stay away from, things they love about their location, the direction they face, etc..

Thanks!

-vince

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are five yacht clubs in MDR, a good range from easygoing to corporate. Each has a slip deal or at least slips nearby and members with opinions and various prices.

It sort of depends who you fall in with. Pier 44 used to be an easy LA County contractor, and a good place to be for the first year or until you get the lay of the land. They're closed now for the big rebuild, but may be have an office that rents slips on short terms.

Pacific Mariners Yacht Club – 13915 Panay Way, Marina Del Rey --is a small, friendly club that I go to occasionally because pssa meetings are held there. You might drop by some evening and strike up a conversation on topic of slips at the bar. Brian Boschma of Pelagic autopilots is speaking there Monday Nov 13, which would be a good excuse to meet some singlehanders, and Brian is an interesting guy.

If you have any interest in Cal Yacht Club or Del Mar Yacht Club, the largest of the clubs, send me a private message.

This ain't Connecticut. The qualifications for joining a yacht club here is having a heartbeat.

Glyn Judson

Slip availability in MDR.

Vince, Congratulations on the pending purchase of the E32-3, I know you'll love her. Christian manmade some good recommendations and I'd like to add one more to the list. Try the LA County Department of Beaches and Harbors and enquire as to any open slips in G basin. My wife and I have been there since 1995 when it was the Santa Monica YC and only left for a year or so when they recently rebuilt the entire 185 or so slip anchorage. The whole place is less than three years old and everything is working as it should including all new heads and showers. Plenty of parking is crazy close to most of the slips. Typically I can park right in front of my dock gate and be at the boat in mere seconds. Best of luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

SkipperC

Member II
Blogs Author
Christian and Glyn, thanks for this info! I'm trying to keep my monthly spend in check so my wife doesn't send me out to sea...permanently. So, not sure I can do any yacht club, unless dues are reasonable. I looked at couple of the bigger ones, and don't think they are for me at this time. I really don't need anything fancy (although I appreciate meeting and learning from experienced sailors).

I'll look at both LA County Department of Beaches and Harbors and enquire as to any open slips in G basin, and mingle a bit Pacific Mariners Yacht Club.

Much appreciated.

-vince