• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

two Americans rescued after being lost at sea for months

JPS27

Member III
I was going to post this to the forum as well. My question is, how is it possible to be out of contact for 5 months on a trip that I would assume would include satellite phones and epirbs. Don't those work anywhere on the globe? Just wondering.

Jay

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Uh? Paper charts, Sextant? Engine floods, batteries die. Which way to point? Obviously, Japan was the wrong way to point. What's a partially broken mast? Bad halyard?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
What's a partially broken mast? Bad halyard?

I'm guessing the furling line got tangled so it was time for a mayday.

Actually according to NBC, they bent one of the spreader bolts. Why that would prevent them from sailing the boat is beyond me. The video footage shows a boat
floating on her lines with an intact rig. Those two are lucky they got picked up, they obviously have no business doing ocean crossings.

Martin

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
On CBS this morning they said the boat would have sunk n 24 hours. Dogs in life jackets, food for 100 days and a water maker. Sounds like a movie in the making to me.

Maybe Redford will play the part of Navy captain.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It's obvious that these girls need to hook up with Rimas. It's like, destiny.

Guy Stevens

It's obvious that these girls need to hook up with Rimas. It's like, destiny.

If you watch the interviews, it is amazing how clueless these people are. Looking at the footage, I could not see anything wrong with the rigging, there are no details anywhere that describe what was "broken" about the mast.

Also I loved LOVED how they survived multiple shark attacks! The Sharks could smell them and hear them, and they were going to be killed by sharks, all while being inside a 40+ foot fiberglass boat? Someone was missing something there in the way of science classes!

LOL

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm getting this strong spidey sense that what "broke" the engine was that they drove until they ran out of fuel. Then commenced drifting. With or without mushrooms.

JPS27

Member III
And whale sharks, no less. Aren't they docile creatures? I've watched some of the interviews. They seem to have rather enjoyed their time at sea. The interviews are intriguing...from a psychological perspective.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I've never seen or heard of two healthier, happier people walking out of a "survival" situation. The dogs weren't in too bad a shape either.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've never seen or heard of two healthier, happier people walking out of a "survival" situation. The dogs weren't in too bad a shape either.

There is a chance that this was planned as a publicity-seeking stunt. If so, I cannot yet figure what the heck is planned for the second act!
:rolleyes:

They have gotten their "fifteen minutes of fame" but in this digital age such fame fades off of the radar in about 14 minutes less than that most of the time.

'Tis a mystery on several levels"

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Messianic, dominant, bipolar person repairs wrecked boat; finds submissive person to accompany her on adventure; wallows through depressive side of bipolar cycle at sea; re-engages during manic uptick and enables rescue.

She says the boat is still adrift south of Okinawa - maybe that’s what she thinks, but I doubt it. It is unseamanlike for the Navy to leave a hazard to navigation at sea. If the boat was sufficiently unseaworthy to warrant a rescue then it needed to be sunk. The rescuing ship was most assuredly loaded with people eager to demonstrate the effectiveness of many flavors of ordinance.

The idiocy of the shark attack story made my ears hurt. No one who has read Unbroken, Adrift, or accounts of the sinking of the Indianapolis would call that an “attack.”

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
It was reported that they didn't activate the EPIRB they had onboard. I agree with Loren that it may have been a publicity stunt.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The blonde woman is clearly an impulsive liar of Trumpesque proportions. Damaged in storms that didn't happen. Attacked by monster sharks that don't exist. "Built" an old production boat. Made landfall at numerous islands where they "couldn't" stop for various implausible reasons.
The Hawaiian woman, as far as I have heard, hasn't said a word.
Something may or may not have happened, but probably not.