• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: 1985+ Ericson 32 Socal

niter

Hello!

I'm a motivated buyer looking for a 1985+ Ericson 32-3 in the Socal area.

Preferably:
- Excellent - Above Average condition
- Not too much modification from stock
- Blue over green

I'm also open to learn and work on every part of the boat but would prefer a good starting place rather than a project boat. I'm planning to liveaboard full time somewhere in San Pedro, CA and hopefully sail as much as I can especially over the weekends.

On the yachtworld.com, I only see two available:
1985 Ericson 32-3 (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Ericson-Sloop-3082561/Long-Beach/CA/United-States#.We7OhUzMzdQ)
1986 Ericson 32-3 (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Ericson-32-3129796/Long-beach/CA/United-States#.We7OFEzMzdQ)

I already saw 1986 one last week and will be checking out 1985 one soon. I have made an offer to 1986 so I can get surveyed (I saw the other post-- I will call up James K. Wallace. Thanks, Christian Williams!) but still waiting to hear back. I'm concerned about the water damages on 1985. There are visible water damages by the windows and according to the broker, there's also a water damaged spot on the v-berth floor from the bilge overflowing due to dead batteries. Hopefully, I have photos of the damages soon. Also, are those water damages by the windows fixable?

Anyways, please let me know if you know someone who's thinking about selling a 1985+ Ericson 32-3 in the Socal area. I'm hoping to buy one soon!

Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you can "cast your net" a bit further afield in both location and size of Ericson, that E-33RH for sale in PDX now would only total a few thousand more with shipping added. Same basic interior layout - head forward - as the E-32/3 you are shopping. All teak interior and a great sailing boat for the lighter air in your region.
Some Irony... it came up here on a truck from the LA area in the 90's, when the present owner bought it. :)

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hello!

On the yachtworld.com, I only see two available:
1985 Ericson 32-3 (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Ericson-Sloop-3082561/Long-Beach/CA/United-States#.We7OhUzMzdQ)
1986 Ericson 32-3 (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/Ericson-32-3129796/Long-beach/CA/United-States#.We7OFEzMzdQ)

I already saw 1986 one last week and will be checking out 1985 one soon. I have made an offer to 1986 so I can get surveyed (I saw the other post-- I will call up James K. Wallace. Thanks, Christian Williams!) but still waiting to hear back. I'm concerned about the water damages on 1985. There are visible water damages by the windows and according to the broker, there's also a water damaged spot on the v-berth floor from the bilge overflowing due to dead batteries. Hopefully, I have photos of the damages soon. Also, are those water damages by the windows fixable?

Anyways, please let me know if you know someone who's thinking about selling a 1985+ Ericson 32-3 in the Socal area. I'm hoping to buy one soon!

Thanks!
Are you sure the '85 is actually an '85? (check the HID#). In the pics on that advertisement, you can see the short traveller track (just the width of the companionway hatch). In have an '84 (#655) which used to have that OEM traveller, but the PO changed for a longer one. A dockmate has an '85 32-3, which came with the longer traveller that you can see in the pics of the '86 boat - I thought '84 was the last year with the short track (?)
Good luck hunting.

niter

Interesting. I didn't know there was 1984 Ericson 32-3. I was following the sailboatdata.com. I will double check the HID when I check it out in person.

Thanks!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have an '84 (#655)

Hmmm... is that from the model year, or the build date?

I have 32-3 #604 (the 4th one built). It has a 1985 "model year" (HIN number decodes to 1985). paperwork suggests it was actually built in August of 1984, but "officially" it is a 1985.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Hmmm... is that from the model year, or the build date?

I have 32-3 #604 (the 4th one built). It has a 1985 "model year" (HIN number decodes to 1985). paperwork suggests it was actually built in August of 1984, but "officially" it is a 1985.
Hmmm - I'll check my HID - I've always 'known'(?) mine to be a '1984' boat (that's how it was advertised/sold to me). The HID should indicate the month and year of manufacture. I'll get back to you.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Remember that the HIN, if done properly, will show the month and year that the hull was laid up. Since many boats are traditionally sold during the January boat show season, these will usually be titled in the year sold, i.e. during the early part of the calendar year after hull manufacture.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Remember that the HIN, if done properly, will show the month and year that the hull was laid up. Since many boats are traditionally sold during the January boat show season, these will usually be titled in the year sold, i.e. during the early part of the calendar year after hull manufacture.
Well, what do ya know ... last 4 of my HID# are B585. That must be Feb of 1885. The guy I bought it from said it was an '84. Heh! So, it's coming up for it's 33rd birthday - young at heart

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Depends on usage and expectations

This may be a wrong forum to ask but as for expanding my search, how does Ericson 32-3 compare to Catalina 36 in terms of sailing, cruising, and liveaboard? I do plan to do extensive sailing across Pacific and to Caribbean someday.

I see this one: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198.../Marina-del-Rey/CA/United-States#.We93nBNSwUE

and it's around the same cost of Ericson 32-3 and I'm wondering if it's a better fit for my needs.

Thanks!

The hull-to-deck joint in the Ericson is way way stronger than the Catalina 36. I have no doubt that the Ericson would sail as fast or faster also. The Catalina hull is, however, better shaped for living aboard at dockside.

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmm interesting! I will check it out. Thanks!

Since boats are "sized" more by displacement than strictly by length, note the the E-33RH is several hundred pounds lighter than the E-32-3.
Comparing storage and tankage is another good way to determine "cruise ability", and the 33 has a lot of both of these vital features... over a half foot more of waterline as well.

Last edited:

niter

Since boats are "sized" more by displacement than strictly by length, note the the E-33RH is several hundred pounds lighter than the E-32-3.
Comparing storage and tankage is another good way to determine "cruise ability", and the 33 has a lot of both of these vital features... over a half foot more of waterline as well.

It may sound silly but I do prefer a sailboat with a shower. I'm not sure how much I will be using it but I think it's definitely convenient to have it without any further modification. Also, I do prefer the layout of 32-3 over 33. I don't know how to describe it but something about 32-3 design feels nice, neat, and just makes sense.

As an update on my search, the seller of 1986 E32-3 has made a counter offer and I have decided to accept the offer because I figured I will be able to make a better assessment and negotiation once I get it surveyed. Also, I don't mind the green as much as I thought. Unfortunately, James K. Wallace is not available for a week and a half from today so I have to wait little longer to get it surveyed. The broker recommended following rigging surveyor and diesel mechanic:

Bahia Marine
Todd & Nancy

Diesel Tec Marine
Allen Nelson

Let me know if you guys have any experience with them or have any other recommendation in the Long Beach area.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A diesel man some of us have used is Martin Ball of Long Beach. Personable, British, reliable.

[h=2]Martin Ball MJB Marine. New Phone #310 5089036[/h]

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Great! I will pass it along to the broker. Thanks!

I can also recommend Leif Johansen (310) 301-9011

He was very thorough in the mechanical inspection he did for me, managed the process of getting an oil-sample analyzed and explained what the results meant when it came back.

Bruce

niter

I can also recommend Leif Johansen (310) 301-9011

He was very thorough in the mechanical inspection he did for me, managed the process of getting an oil-sample analyzed and explained what the results meant when it came back.

Bruce

Wow, that seems very thorough. Was it extra to get an oil sample analyzed or part of the engine survey?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Wow, that seems very thorough. Was it extra to get an oil sample analyzed or part of the engine survey?

It was extra (IIRC it cost about 40 bucks), but it was recommended by the surveyor. In fact, from a timing perspective, the surveyor (I used Jim Wallace) wanted to have the rig inspection and the mechanical done before the day of the survey so he'd have those results in hand and be able to look at and evaluate any issues the rigger or mechanic may have flagged for attention.

I'd have to look, but I think the oil analysis took just a few days to turn around. Mechanic pulls a sample of oil during his inspection and sends it off in a little mailer, a few days later a report comes back. It says how much of different kinds of metals were present in the oil (indicating wear, corrosion, etc); it also indicates whether fuel, antifreeze or water were found in the oil (indicating a variety of other potential issues.)

Well worth it, IMO. Especially given that an original motor in a 1985 boat is now 30+ years old, and the number of hours on the clock may not tell the whole story.

Last edited:

niter

It was extra (IIRC it cost about 40 bucks), but it was recommended by the surveyor. In fact, from a timing perspective, the surveyor (I used Jim Wallace) wanted to have the rig inspection and the mechanical done before the day of the survey so he'd have those results in hand and be able to look at and evaluate any issues the rigger or mechanic may have flagged for attention.

I'd have to look, but I think the oil analysis took just a few days to turn around. Mechanic pulls a sample of oil during his inspection and sends it off in a little mailer, a few days later a report comes back. It says how much of different kinds of metals were present in the oil (indicating wear, corrosion, etc); it also indicates whether fuel, antifreeze or water were found in the oil (indicating a variety of other potential issues.)

Well worth it, IMO. Especially given that an original motor in a 1985 boat is now 30+ years old, and the number of hours on the clock may not tell the whole story.

Hmm. That's a good point. I didn't think about having rig/mechanic done before James. For now, I have asked to be the same day so I can be there when they do the surveying as it's difficult for me to take multiple weekdays to be there. I will definitely ask about oil analysis.