• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Radio wiring - E30+ - panel access?

timmylip

Hi,

Was trying to upgrade the radio and the power wire fell back into the hole (one of three that appear factory) above the little shelf above the desk onn the starboard interior.

Is there an access panel or other way to get to the wires "in the wall"?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
Yes, I think so. On our 1984 E 30+, I replaced our VHFradio and the stereo in the location that I think you are referring to. I had to remove the teak moulding directly above/in front of the nav station going side to side above the hanging locker there--only a couple of screws. Then I removed the four screws in the teak panel that angles below the port there (I'm not at the boat and am trying to remember exact position:confused:). With those screws removed, I could pull that teak panel forward giving me access to the back of the VHF radio, stereo, etc. By fishing with a coat hanger, you can probably get the wire you're looking for. If not, you could try removing the electrical plug above the nav station and fishing a wire down through that smaller opening. Failing that, on our boat there is a small opening port below the cushion in the quarterberth in front of the square battery compartment. By opening that port, you can access the hull (albeit awkwardly) below the nav station which may help you.

Good luck! Let us know if you're able to retrieve it!

Frank

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Also worth noting (as pointed out in the Moyer forums) that little Chinese inspection cameras, AKA "endoscopes" or "borescopes" can now be had for between ten and thirty bucks on Ebay. Depending on how long you want it to be and whether you want USB or WiFi. They come with wire hooks, magnets, and side-mirrors that clip on to the end, for retrieving things like wires. Display to your phone or laptop. They all seem to be about 5.5mm wide, so they can go down a pretty small hole.
Mine came today :egrin:

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I want one.

We all have this gizmo, too, which sometimes works (mechanical claw tool, grabber, tool of the gods, various names, often available in "99 cents" stores.

claw.png

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I have one of each... a "grabber" with a built-in LED light at the working end (I think it was 7 bucks at Lowe's), *and* one of the endoscopes.

Both work great.

For "interesting" retrieval jobs - like, oh, say, theoretically, when I dropped the clamp that holds the cable-end in place for the shift-lever and it immediately scampered to an inaccessible place in the bilge - I've found that taping the endoscope head near the working end of the "grabber" works like magic.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Pick Up Tricks

Hi Respected Sailors. Great pickup tricks! I have been there and was almost there today during winterizing. Thanks very much Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411