• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35-2 repower

Mercator 35-2

I am replacing my old Westerbeke 30 and am wondering how many hp people have in their boats? Choosing between a Beta 25 and a 30. Recommendations? Thanks, kp

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our 1988 boat displaces almost 11K #, and might a bit lighter weight than yours, but our original 23 hp Universal has been more than adequate.
If our engine ever needs expensive repairs, I would opt for the Betamarine 25, as a replacement.

Of course a lot depends on the engine ocation in the boat and the "fit" on the old bed logs.
Is your engine located under the settee or under the companionway?

Hanktoo

Member III
westerbeke

I have a 30B which i believe is original. Had to do the motor mounts a few years back. This year it is the water pump, ouch they are expensive.
I would be curious what you come up with if i need to go that route in the future (distant I hope).

what happened to the diesel? If you are parting it out let me know.

Mercator 35-2

The old diesel was leaky and smokey. Am repowering with a beta 25. I have a rebuilt fuel injector pump, rebuilt alternator, rebuilt starter and a raw water pump that is a couple of years old. And the old injectors. everything else went to the dump!

I have a 30B which i believe is original. Had to do the motor mounts a few years back. This year it is the water pump, ouch they are expensive.
I would be curious what you come up with if i need to go that route in the future (distant I hope).

what happened to the diesel? If you are parting it out let me know.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A "Beta" solution

The old diesel was leaky and smokey. Am repowering with a beta 25. I have a rebuilt fuel injector pump, rebuilt alternator, rebuilt starter and a raw water pump that is a couple of years old. And the old injectors. everything else went to the dump!

If you want to start a thread about your re-power, please do. Have at it. Go for it. Oh Yeah.
:)
I am now *that* close to replacing our original Universal 23 hp with a Betamarine 25. While the actual installation will be a little different, any pix of the before, during, and after for your boat would be helpful.
Guessing from the year of your boat, is the engine under the settee?

Anyhow thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Loren

Mercator 35-2

More Beta - Repowering my 1972 Ericson 35-2

I can probably put something together. The engine is mounted under the cockpit. For starters, I dismantled what i could of the old engine before I had the mechanics (Gartside Marine) come down and crane it out and take it away (I kept the rebuilt parts, fuel injector pump, alternator, starter and raw water pump). I removed the 20 gal stainless tank and the crappy rack it was on and ground out the fiberglass tabs and rotten wood that was holding up the front of the tank. Degreased, cleaned and scrubbed and cleaned again then painted everything out with interlux bilgecoat. Nice clean working surface. The tank has since been steam cleaned and pressure tested OK. I started to cleanup and prime the old metal engine rack with some zinc primer. Then it was recommended that I remove the rack completely so i ground out the fiberglass tabs and got all the crud and rust out. Good recommendation. Took the rack to Blastit and sand blasted it and then applied 3 coats of zinc. Will rebed and glass in. Nice. In the meantime fabricated some angle steel and plywood to install the fuel tank. Plywood is epoxy coated now and things are getting ready to go back in. The Beta 25 with a TMC40 2:1 gearbox and a 12x11 prop are on order from Gartside and should be here in the new year. To date I am in it for about 60 hours of my time and my end budget is about $18K CDN. All paint supplies and recommendations are from Trotac. Sounds easy when I condense it like this but lots of time went into planning and figuring. Invaluable is a cardboard template of the engine. Photos will come later.

This is a lot of work for an old boat but we are already into it for new sails (UK), new standing and running rigging, replaced main bulkhead, painted and new electrical/lights in the mast, new big wires/inverter, 2 new 6 volt house bank batteries, refrigeration, hydronic heat, hot water, and and and....

More to come, cheers, kp

If you want to start a thread about your re-power, please do. Have at it. Go for it. Oh Yeah.
:)
I am now *that* close to replacing our original Universal 23 hp with a Betamarine 25. While the actual installation will be a little different, any pix of the before, during, and after for your boat would be helpful.
Guessing from the year of your boat, is the engine under the settee?

Anyhow thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Loren