• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1983 25+ Holding tank plumbing

Brad Johnson

Member III
image.jpgimage.jpgI am working on a 1983 25+ that was a good friend's boat , He passed away and I am refurbishing the boat. there is a 30" piece of 11/2" from holding tank and another 30" 1 1/2 " line from a sea caulk, they are both sealed off with a plastic bags , it looks like there must of been a manual pump for overboard discharge that connected the two lines together but I see no evidence of one. any idea ?????

Last edited:

bolbmw

Member III
On my 30+ I have a manual whale pump to pump out the holding tank in addition to the deck pump out. There is a single outlet on the holding tank which T's into the deck cap and the manual pump out. The whale pump is in the head, and was factory where there is a cut out for the pump. It's very convenient and gets used often as we are frequently more than 3 miles from shore.

If your holding tank is already rigged up to the deck cap and has no hole for a pump having the plumbing seems odd, let alone with some bags over them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Standard kit for Ericson's in the 80's (and Olson's) was a Whale Gusher 10 for pumping out the holding tank when in legal discharge waters.
This was the same high-dollar pump used in the cockpit for manual pumping out the bilge.

High quality and high capacity pump, but the cast aluminum housing was never a good match for human waste. The pump case would corrode readily once the inner layer of powder-coat paint was scratched at all. I replaced this pump with a plastic one when I re-formatted the whole head plumbing setup.
Picture of our replacement hand pump is in reply 22 in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...6251-New-Holding-Tank-Piping-amp-Valves/page2

Hard to believe that this prior project thread dates to 2008... Time flies!
:rolleyes:

I would not be surprised to find that your boat has the same basic head and holding tank setup.

Hope you have your latex gloves and some bleach handy!
:)