• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

An Ignominious end for an E-Boat

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just a whole lot of stupid in this project. Not to mention the destruction of a nice boat.

http://www.walkingsailboat.com/p/about-project-darwin.html

imagepng

kari

Member III
I have to agree . .. moronic undertaking . . . many better ways to get, show same thing art wise or other here . . .

kari

Member III
If one MUST do this . . . . .? Couldn't he at least start with a Catalina, Coronado etc. . . . .Puhleeease . . .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ignominious, Indeed!

Reading the "tone" of the posts, it harks back to the Hippie performance art projects of 1967 and similar seasons.
This might make a (grainy!) photo layout with lots of Good Vibrations in the old Berkley Barb. But not being a political statement per se, probably not.

Thanks for sharing. Lots of 70's era boats, good and ill, are nowadays going to the knackers all the time. It's just the way of the World.

I imagine that some car enthusiasts were equally horrified when that guy in Texas (?) planted all of those huge cars in the ground...

:0

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
another opinion

I know what you mean. The name on the stern was Mistral, Coyote Point.

But gentlemen, it's a 1970 boat. The Darwin team are quite serious about this project, I mean in the sense of engineering the legs and taking it seriously, however insulting or stupid the idea might be to us.

They took her sailing before beginning the art project, which suggests a certain respect.

The project creates a sailboat that will "walk" in a lost "sea." The metaphor, or gag, or message, or whatever you call it could be said to have meaning. Does art change anything? Does sucking weed in the desert change anything? (don't know about art, but, dude, man, see, nihilists, the thing is, the rug completed the decor of the room, man.)

Our world is changing rapidly due to acts of humans. Sea levels are rising and former wetlands are going dry. Burning Man itself is held on a dry lakebed that was 500 feet deep 12,000 years ago. As resources get scarce in a changing world, some people will go to war, and others will try to peacefully adapt. A sailboat represents peace, and leisure - it's evolving to survive and adapt to this new reality.

Capture.JPG

Emerald

Just tried to hit the link from my office. Our security blocked it indicating the hosting site is known for malware. Not saying it's currently affected, but apparently items on this hosting site have had enough malware to get it blacklisted. That is also not to infer anything within these pages specifically, just that something(s) hosted in this domain have a malware risk. So, be careful on what you click on....

Last edited:

kari

Member III
I get what you're saying . . . but . . . .still should have used a Catalina . . . they made and still make a gazillion of them . . . would have served their purpose the same without destroying a nice Ericson . . . . And yes I know one mans treasure . . . All relative . . .

bolbmw

Member III
As an art project any boat could have been used. Maybe this one was trashed, cheap/free/whatever.

Seeing a sailboat crawling around the desert on mechanical legs is pretty interesting regardless of who layed up the hull.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As an art project any boat could have been used. Maybe this one was trashed, cheap/free/whatever.

Seeing a sailboat falling over and crushing a bunch of dirty hipsters is pretty interesting regardless of who layed up the hull.

Fixed it for ya! :rolleyes: