• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

need help (trucking boat)

unbroken57

how can I transport ericson 32 from Michigan to South carolina. can I cut the keel off and reatatch it

Last edited by a moderator:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
An E32 might be at the very limit for what could be trailered (with appropriate equipment) non-commercially. But if you don't have experience rigging, hauling, and permitting heavy loads, I certainly would leave a trip of that magnitude to the pros.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Trucking Boat

I can not tell from your post if you are asking if it can be done professionally by a certified and licensed hauler, or you are looking for a way to make a diy trip.

If it is the latter.....forget it.....just the permits for the weight and width and the equipment needed would put it into the realm of impossible.

I hired a highly recomended boat hauler in 2010 to bring my boat from Florida to Illinois.....no way my boat or a 32 would be diy.

If you need the name and number of the party I used (and he is still in business) let me know back channel and I will try to help you out.

Good Luck

e38 owner

Member III
on question always leads to more
What version of 32 is it?
Do you have a trailer?
Do you ever pla on moving it again
Which Keel does does your 32 have.

The question is all about height width and weight and equipments
I have towed our 38 on its own trailer not alot of fun
Have also towed a 32-2 on it trailer with a 3/4 ton pick up

If you don't have a good trailer and onl plan on moving it once you are far better of have it done.
A commercial trucker will have a lowboy trailer and height will not be an issue.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
It sounds like you have not done much or any trailering before. If you haven't done a bunch, I wouldn't recommend attempting this DIY. The boat is at the very upper end of anything you should attempt to tow. It is wide and tall and heavy. It will require wide load permits and be heavy enough to require weigh station stops. Attention will be needed to keeping it in the exact middle of the lane due to width of the trailer. The route needs to be plotted exactly for height and not just overpasses. I know of one guy that took out the regional broadband system when the pulpit hit the broadband cable and snapped it in town after gassing up. The tow vehicle is crucial here. A SUV or half ton pickup would be a disaster. A 3/4 ton pickup very iffy. A one ton would work. The light duty trucks don't have enough braking power and perfect brakes are required on the trailer.

This is an oversize, overweight, top heavy load for the trailer that needs an experienced driver at the wheel. The consequences of any errors can be deadly and very costly. If you have the experience and the right equipment, go for it. If you don't, go for the pro.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Consolidating posts

[h=2]Grateful[/h]
H ello fellow seamen
My name is Joe weeks I just bought # 111 Ericson32Ft. 1970 from a family in Monroe Mi. I am not sure if they were members of your (our) club. But I am just writing to let ya`ll know how grateful I am for all your help. I am 60 years old and you might say I am the oldest teenager on the beach. At least thats what my mother used to say about me.Buying this boat was not a long thought out process but more of an impulsive illusion of my younger days when my parents took me sailing on the San Fransico Bay. I love sailing because I no longer can surf due to a watersking accident. I am just about cumputer illerate so bare with me or is it bear with me??So should I sail her to S. C. and have to hire a captain and crew or ship it???? I am not a wealthy guy so I have to be careful about my spending. I wonder if I could find some retired captains who would enjoy this and volunteer. Or am I crazy to think like that. I wonder how many days it might take as well Thanks Y`all for your advice. Joe.​

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
consolidating posts

• unbroken57
    user-offline.png

Junior Member<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 5px 0px; float: left; width: 180px; height: auto !important;"><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Oct 2017</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Location</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Pawleys island</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Posts</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">6</dd></dl>

[h=2]help[/h]
    I think I just bought a Ericson 32 1970 Located in Monroe Mi. I dont know if shipping or sailing the boat from Monroe to Georgetown S.C. which of those possibilitys is cheapest way for my result. Any suggestions.​

Promote to Article

• Today, 11:16 AM
    #2 <label for="post_imod_checkbox_110202"><input class="postimod" type="checkbox" id="post_imod_checkbox_110202" name="plist[110202]" value="0" style="margin: 0px 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; font-family: Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 11.88px; top: 0px; position: relative;"></label>​
    ThatJeffGuy
    user-offline.png

Contributing Member I<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 5px 0px; float: left; width: 180px; height: auto !important;"><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Sep 2017</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Location</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Duluth, MN</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 10px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Posts</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">10</dd></dl>

[h=2]Late in the season[/h]
    It is getting rather late in the season to try to sail off the great lakes. The weather gets extremely unpredictable and that water is COLD! I would vote for shipping. Although if you have the mast stepped I think you can take the Erie Canal, but you are going to be running on motor the whole time, and if that motor has not been maintained properly it will likely cause issues, and then you would be drifting out in an unfriendly Lake Erie...​

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard, Joe. One topic per post works best. Otherwise responses are scattered and members can't follow the discussion.

Pick a category that seems to apply (maintenance? cruising? ). It's not critical, but it helps. Members typically start with "New Posts," so they see what has been posted in all categories since last visit.

Cheers,
Christian

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I have Ericson 32 #112, the one right after yours - I'm told mine is a 1969, though. Who knows.

I'm living proof that these boats can be brought through the Erie Canal, as I took mine from Erie, PA to NYC via the Canal and the Hudson River.

However, I'd strongly suggest that a trip from Michigan to the Carolinas be done by truck. (My boat originally came to Erie from San Diego by truck.) It's going to cost a couple of grand either way and the mast has to come down either way. Might as well get the move done quickly. Time and cost if you go by water in an old boat that's new to you: incalculable. Will the engine go the distance? Will something break? Will you sit around for weeks waiting for parts, or a haulout, or a mechanic, or a fiberglass repair person? Could take months.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Shipping Example - E32

The broker who handled the sale of the E32 I bought had prior experience in transporting sailboats. Not a professional shipper, but experienced nonetheless. This shipment came out of Kalispell, over several mountain passes in Montana and the Cascades, into WA state.

The bow pulpit and forward stanchions had to be removed to comply with height limits. The mast length was also a bit of a problem. The 5th wheel trailer was not made for the boat, but it worked due to it's adjustable supports.

Attachments

• 2 (9).jpg
    2 (9).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The other way to do it, if you have a flatbed trailer, is to build or buy a sturdy cradle that fits the boat, and secure it to the trailer with truckers chains and binders.
However, note that the rig pictured above is going to weigh well over 25,000 lbs and technically requires a commercial drivers license. As well as oversize permits and signage.