• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help please - Universal M-20 raw water pump failure

yodaears

'84 E30+ HN 636
Alrighty, either I am the worst googler ever or I have overlooked what I am sure is a previously discussed topic. My apologies. Help is appreciated...

1984 E30+, Universal M-20, Sherwood G908

Lost raw water flow yesterday, shut off immediately and had a docking adventure under sail. In-flow from the through-hull is good, strainer clear, impellor ok (new in june).

Wife cranks motor without firing it, water pump shaft NOT turning. Remove water pump, holy corrosion! Ordered a new pump, the one that starts with an O, not the Sherwood. Question are...

1) What kind of damage could I be looking at here?

2) What would be causing a water pump not to turn at all??

3) I have looked in all my books of secrets and I must say that this episode has pointed out a knowledge gap in how this particular system works. How does the motor turn the raw water pump? It looks "ok" inside but without taking a whole lot more apart I can't really tell.

4) Anyone had this happen before?

Thanks!

John

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is there a coupler between the pump shaft and engine?

Sometimes the unit can go back together without the coupler engaged. Impeller doesn't spin.

This happened to me when I accidentally pulled the shaft out while changing the impeller, and had to remove the pump from the engine to reinsert it.

The slot in the coupler has to line up with its receiver. I just kept trying until it did.